View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 An important point neglected 

Part of me finds these discussions fascinating. I love to hear other people's opinions and to have my views challenged. Regardless though I think one important point has been neglected. What we think about social issues, whether we consider them right or wrong isn't an issue. Yes, we have a responsibility to be knowledgable, but personal opinions have nothing to do with educating a child. There are things that I think are wrong and issues I don't agree with, but I have no right to enforce those views on my students. My job is to teach them regardless of who their parents are and what they choose to do. I am allowed to have my opinions but that in no way shape or form should stop me or any other teacher from loving and educating every child that walks through their door.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with what you say, and i believe that this belief should be shared with our classes as we begin our own class dicussions. students will argue their beliefs until they are blue in the face, but that gets the discussion nowhere, and students should be made aware of that. so, when we are leading a discussion in class, we should work as mediators keeping the discussion on the topic and making sure that the students aren't voicing their beliefs, but strong facts that they can back up. not only will this help keep the touchy discussion from becoming too heated and get out of control, but it will also aid in shaping the student's skills of arguing their side of a topic without arguing about their beliefs.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]