View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A DIFFERENT OPINION 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I originally posted this under another thread, but I re-posted so that hopefully more people will read it. I am not trying to be obnoxious, but this topic really got me going.

I don't agree with the above statements. Some societies accept that there are more than two genders, and I do not see why we cannot. We also cannot say that these people are merely confused; we cannot say this because there is no way we can start to understand what they are going through. We have no idea what it is like to feel this way. People are born with female and male parts and our society says this is wrong. To go along with your arguements, God would have done this on purpose.

I think religion should be kept out of this, however. Our society forces people to be either male or female, and we do not accept anything but. Gender is clearly a socially constructed concept. Our media literacy unit showed us that our society believes men should be strong, unemotional, and macho, while women should be slight, quiet, and girly. These are gender roles that society has created. In some cultures, and I would have to do more research on this but remember it from intro. to soc, women take the more dominant roles in society rather than men. This only proves that gender is socially constructed.

Why should transexuals have to conform to our standards? In the above posts people have said that they want to cry for transexuals, but this seems hypocritical after saying that they are "confused" and that they have done this to themselves. To me, the above posts seem very unsensitive. Why should you be sad for them? This is who they are. It is that very approach, that something is wrong with these people, which fuels hate and discrimination. We, as a society, are so judgemental. And you know what? I don't understand how God cannot make mistakes. Maybe it's God. Maybe it's science. Either way it is natural and we should accept these people. Everyone has the right to strive to be happy, and whatever makes you happy you should do it, whether it's getting a sex-change operation or living your life as niether male nor female, but a little of both.

Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:02 pm

I would like to start by saying that everyone who knows God would not do this and would not make a mistake should please tell me where I can go to have a TWO WAY conversation with him, and not a priest. The fact is none of us know where God stands on this issue, so he should not be included in it. This is America or atleast I thought, and as far as I am concerned I dont care what people want to be male, female, cat, dog it is totally up to them. As long as they are still a good person it shouldn't matter. If you want to feel sorry for someone feel sorry for those people who are afraid to come out and live the life they feel they should. Those are the only truly sad people.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:57 am
All-star
All-star

I think that we as individuals need to know who we are in order to be happy with where we are. Now this may seem like I am taking in riddles, but what I am trying to say is that no matter your religion is or your beliefs, you first must believe in yourself in order to understand which way you want to go in terms of your sex or gender, or... Therefore, I have to say that knowing your true self is the first step to answering this question that we ponder as teachers for the students whom we will be teaching about their sex or gender.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think you have a very vaild point in what you are saying. I believe that many of us have no room to say weather it is wrong or right. I mean i am not sure if God would say it's wrong or not, but honeslty it shouldn't matter to us, becasue we are not the ones that should be judging. All we are a teachers and people in our society. and I job is to teach to our best ablility.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with what you are saying, but i'm still at the point where i don't know what to think because i have never be confronted with anything to do with this topic personally. until that time, i am still stuck. that's just how i am.

Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]