View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Finding souls? 
All-star
All-star

In today's class, we discussed having souls when we teach and ovecoming the already set-up institutions. Does this mean that we all need to know how we stand and possess a soul when we teach? I am a firm believer that we must have souls in order to teach to our students, but to what degree? I mean the article explicitly stated that teachers should not overcome the norm, but isn't that what we been trying to determine how to do in our education classes?

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Which teachers were the ones you remember when you were in elementary school and highschool. The ones who blew the doors down and taught with a passion and a good soul that totally wanted to make you want to learn. Its proven that you learn from the teachers that get you excited, enthused, and motivated about the subject no matter if its math or english or anything. They teach because they want to make a better tomorrow for the ones they are teaching. And that is having a soul.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:21 pm
Site Admin

I believe Palmer is saying that we can't count on institutions to change, and that as a result we MUST challenge those norms ourselves.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with plamer that we can't count on the intatution and have to have some kind of soul to do what needs to be done it schools. i believe that you have to fallow your soul in many parts of teaching, with so many issues that have to be tip toed around you have ot fallow what seems right to you.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is so important for us as teachers to teach in a way that we expresses a part of us. When we put our passions, beliefs, and our complete self into teaching, then we begin to teach with our souls. This is why it is so important for us to truly know ourselves. I too agree with Palmer that we cannot expect institutions to change. We cannot mold ourselves to fit in the norm. The most important thing I have learned this semester is how important it is to think about controversial topics I have not discussed in any class before now and find out where I stand and have the ability to respect the beliefs of others that may be different . Also, I have learned that I must decide how I can use the things that I may not have not experienced in my education, but will make the education of my students so much better. We must be teachers that challenge the things that we do not agree with or believe in and make a difference in the lives of our students. The teachers that I remember and influenced me the most are the ones who did just this.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that we all must have have soul so that we can become those famous teachers that we had in our past. Thanks for the clarification on subject Dr Turner.

Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]