View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 SATs and tests 
All-star
All-star

We all have taken the SAT when we were in high school. Nowadays, students have to take the SAT and pay for it if they so choose to venture in to college. I don't think that this one test or any other test should be the determining factor as to why or how we get into something. I mean isn't this the same principle as EOCs of EOGs. Students don't like them because it isn't a true indication of how well you know the material; it just shows how well you can take the test. How is this fair? The mental handicapped or disabled can't take this tests, but some how they get into college too. I have numerous friend who are mentally disabled or have diabilities since their young grades, their SAT and EOCs scores are low but they are highlyintelligent people. I just don't understand how come we base so much on these tests.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes as a teacher you will learn to hate standardized tests. I have family memebers that are teachers that have already warned me that standardized tests, paper work, and parents are what you have to look forward to. lol, I think it is inevitable and its something we will never be able to get past because we base so much of how we do as a country on test scores and statistics.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways of assessing students that would be more fair than standardized testing? I think there is never going to be anyway of getting around it, but in our classrooms, we needs to have several "test" no necessarily written ones, that we use to assess students and determine a grade for them.

Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I went to New York on a Teaching Fellows' trip a couple of years ago, we visited several alternative and charter schools. Some were privately owned and many were public schools. One thing that many of the schools implemented was a portfolio system for grading and promotion to the next grade level or graduation. Students had to create a portfolio during the course of the year and would then present it to a panel of teachers. By doing this, it was evident that the students really grasped the information rather than just memorizing it for a test. When students have hands on experience with what they learn and have to teach it or present it to others, they seem to retain more information. Although this cannot replace standardized testing in our state's education system, perhaps we can use it on a smaller scale in our classroom for assessment of student progress.

Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]