View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Disabilities in the classrooms 
All-star
All-star

I am surprised as education majors that we haven't discussed too much on the subject of Disabilites or Handicapped individuals. The only reason that I bring this up is because I have numerous friends that have had or did have a troubled time while in the public school system and being handicapped or disabled.
For instance, I have an friend needs special ways to help him learn/read. Now, this individual didn't get any help from the public schools systems until his parents put their foot down and said that he needed help to assist him in learning. Now, the schools systems did help him, but what about the individuals who don't get help like this individual. It is just to give some ideas for us future teachers of the world.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the "No Child Left Behind" legislation is attempting to deal with this problem (all the while creating others...but that's another post). There is lots of legislation out there, but apparently some school systems (and teachers) don't bother to learn about their responsibilities.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:31 pm
All-star
All-star

The no child left behind act is trying to deal with this. But its hard to explain. You can go to www.education.gov and find out a lot more about it and it will explain a lot of things. However the world of children with disabilities is a hard one. As a special education major its something that is talked about a lot in my classes that regular ed majors do not get enough information about special needs students. A lot of regular ed teachers go into their jobs thinking they will never have to deal with those kids because thats what special education teachers are for. Well they aren't told thats what inclusion is for and that not all special ed students are in a special ed class all day. They aren't told they will have to teach them as well. I think that this is a huge issue that regular ed teachers need to know about and I personally think they need a couple of classes on it becuase they really do have to deal with too.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]