View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Local educational mission statements/slogans 
All-star
All-star

I thought it would be interesting to collect different county mission statements from each of the areas we call HOME or plan to teach in.

For example, from the Watauga County web site, the slogan is "Educating for productive citizenship and life-long learning."

I tried to add a smille face, but didn't get it right, cheers!

Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:16 am
All-star
All-star

Looking back, several of our graduate school classes have talked about the importance of mission statements and the need for all schools/districts to have them, but there haven't been many opportunities for us to share our schools/districts mission statement with one another. I like your idea. It would be nice if everyone could bring a copy of their school mission statement to class so we could have the opportunity to share with one another our school's/district's beliefs and goals.
Daphne King

Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I like the idea of finding mission statements. I think it may help to clarify what we expect of schools, and there differences as well.

Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this is a very good idea. I would love to see the various school mission statements especially as someone not active in a school. I would prefer to see them posted in the forum though. I think we could have a deeper discussion on them in this type of environment. They will be easier to compare and contrast in print and our thoughts won't be bound by space and time. Just my 2 cents.

Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:57 pm Post subject: Mission Statements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be very interested in sharing "mission statements" from the various schools in which we work. I am also interested in whether you feel your mission statement is the true mission of the school. I know in one school in which I have worked I feel as though the mission statement didn't truly represent the school.

Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

anyone found their mission statements?

I don't work in a school but I stumbled across one from Rhode Island which is the best model I have found of the sort of education I believe in. It is called The Met School and its home website is http://www.metcenter.org/

below isn't exactly a mission statement but it describes their belief in education.

The Met believes in educating “one student at a timeâ€

Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:56 am
All-star
All-star

I wonder how the MET system would work in connection with admissions to Ivy League schools, SAT's, etc?

Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:00 pm
All-star
All-star

WIlkes countty's Mission statement is as follows:
WIlkes CO. School are committed to excellence in teaching and to the belief that all students can learn. Our goal is to promote high expectations for student success through a partnership of school, home, and community.

It certainly sounds good on paper. The tough things is meeting the conditions not under one's control for many, the family. I like the i8dea of high expectations too. I think that everry teacher should expect a lot of students, which in turn encourages growth.

Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:16 am
All-star
All-star

Our schools mission statement is as follows -
Southwest Middle School, Gastonia, NC

Our Mission is to provide all students with quality education in a safe and stimulating environment, which will address the development of the whole child's mental, emotional, intellectual, physical and social needs and will give them the personal power to become goal-oriented, productive, and well adjusted citizens.

Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]