View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Kozol vs NCLB 
All-star
All-star

I was organizing my files this afternoon and came across information on NCLB. I started to think about Savage Inequalities and the expectations of the NCLB initiative. My first question is - are the status of these schools in St. Louis and in Chicago the same now as they were when the book was written? My second question is - if the status of the schools are the same, how can they be expected to meet the NCLB guidelines with the unsafe and unhealthy environments? Does the NCLB initiative know that these types of schools exist? If so, I am curious to find out how these schools are being assisted.

Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I find it impossible for NCLB standards to be applied in the schools Kozol discusses. NCLB has very vigorous standards for teachers as well as students. With the attitudes the teachers in the various schools seem to portray, there is no hope for achievement. What happens to these schools when they prove to be low performing and santions are enforced? Will change come then, or will they somehow contiune to be overlooked? Where is the justice for the innocent children involved in these situations?
It would be interesting to know if these schools are receiving any type of aid. If not I really do not see any chance of succes in their future.

Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am curious as well about what has happened to these schools. I can not imagine these schools not getting a large chunk of Title I $, therefore making them fall under the provisions of NCLB. Kozol talks about putting money where it is needed. NCLB could force these districts to put money into the schools with the most needs. For all the things it does or does not do, NCLB causes schools to look at groups of children differently than ever before.

Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:23 pm
All-star
All-star

This is my second time reading Savage Inequalities and I am amazed at how angry I still become, even though I know what is coming next. When we talk about standards, whether it is NCLB or any others, those schools as described by Kozol meet no standards. We expect our housing, businesses, etc. to meet minimum standards, but these schools do not meet any. I am interested to see the level of improvement of these schools since the exposure by Kozol. If there hasn't been improvement, how can we as a society implement such rigorous guidelines academically if we cannot provide safe and sanitary facilities to all our students? :x

Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:16 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

The problems with the schools in Kozol's book are huge. It really does hurt when you read the descriptions of the schools in his book, especially about the children in East St. Louis who are exposed to all those insidious toxins.

Th real problem is political. In my opinion, if you could slice a small percentage from the military industrial complex budget and use it for social problems within the United States, it would solve all the social problems including any educational ones. The problem is getting the public completely united and making it a popular cause.

Last edited by John Kavanagh on Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:03 pm

I am very interested to see if there has been any improvement in these schools. I would think that with all the publications of the horrid conditions of these schools, the public would be outraged. I would also think that this reaction would cause officials, as well as community members, parents, and teachers to get involved in improving the equality of schools. I am also interested to see if the change in political figures has brought upon any type of change in these schools.

Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had similar thoughts about Kozol and NCLB. I wonder what Kozol would say about leaving no child left behind - would he welcome what Bush is trying to do, or would he simply discount it out of hand.

Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I tried to check on the East St. Louis schools on the internet. I couldn't tell much, just that they are still there!

That picture was so bleak, I can't believe that Illinois would abdicate its responsibility to these children. The descriptions of the schools, homes, pollution of soil, water, was so shocking - it made some bad inner city schools seem wonderful by comparison! The waste of money - through inefficient heating facilities, etc. was unconscionable in the face of such extreme need for textbooks, etc.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]