View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Social Ills 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Perhaps this may be over simplifying the race/socio-economic thing but after last night's class a recurring thought I've had for years resurfaced about the plight of the poor in America. My question is this, does anyone think that the welfare/unemployment system has replaced 18th and 19th legalized slavery as the preferred method for controlling the undesireable masses? Ask yourself this, what is truly better about what black people go through now as opposed to what they experienced 100 or more years ago? I would argue that a whip to keep others down does not necessarily need to be made from leather - I'm wondering if the proverbial whip of today, in the form of a welfare check, is not the cruelest whip of all since the wounds are deep inside the heart and soul of the African-American people in this country. We need an Emancipation Proclamation from welfare, the 21st century's form of slavery!!!

Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:15 am
All-star
All-star

Michael, the point you bring up is a wonderful one. WOnderful in the sense that it is right on the money, (not happy). I read Arthur Ashe's book this summer (Days of Grace) and he said something to the extent that by giving black men something for free (a welfare check, or affirmative action) that you undermine him. He basically felt like what we should do is what we discussed in class: give minorities a better education, and let them tear down the celing of inequality on their own.
I agree that we are shortchanging minorities with what is disguised as generosity, but is really a selfish, domineering goal.

Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As was pointed out - we can't discuss these issues for long without returning to the importance of politics.

Michael and Craig, many successful minorities have echoed your thoughts only to be ruthlessly opposed by minority and liberal groups and associations.

Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:41 am
All-star
All-star

I think the Welfare system has hurt the black community in many ways, but the biggest loss has been to family integrity. If the children are better off economically with the men gone, what incentive is there for daddy to stay around? Generations of black males feel useless - we wonder why there are so many gangs.

I thought the welfare to work program would help, but I recently found out that these requirements don't apply to certain areas. I hope someone will figure out a way to change the course of the inner city areas. Obviously, improved educational opportunities will help a great deal. However, isn't it considered "white" in some schools to put forth an effort in school? I think that is so tragic.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]