View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Statistics 
All-star
All-star

On page 8, it states that "one in four young people entered college and one in twenty stayed long enough to get a degree." Does anyone know what those number would look like today? I was just curious.

Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Barbara Ehrenreich used these statistics in her speech last Thursday morning - she said that 65% of High School graduates go to college, but half go to 2-year schools. (That's not saying how many of these will later go to a four-year college, as my son did after his freshman year.)

She said that 40% (of the 65%?) will not graduate.

She also said that 25% of Americans (I assume she means adults) are graduate of a 4-year college.

I have no idea how accurate these statistics are. I assume she did her homework.

I could say more about her speech, but I will save that for another thread!

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:31 pm
All-star
All-star

The ACT website had the following press release last November:

IOWA CITY, Iowa—Fifty-one percent of college students graduate from baccalaureate institutions within five years of initial enrollment, according to new statistics compiled by ACT. The graduation rate has remained steady over the past four years and has dropped only slightly over the past 10 years (down from 54 percent in 1992), despite the fact that a significantly greater percentage of high school graduates are now attending college.

I assume they are not including graduates who take longer than five years to complete their degree. I guess the statistics vary according to how they are collected, but regardless they are not positive.

Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I would like to hear more about Barbara Ehrenreich's speech and your thoughts. Have you started Nickel and Dimed? I wish I could have attended Convocation. I would've like to have heard her lecture.

Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Yes, Daphne, I have already read Nickel & Dimed for another class this semester, which also required us to go to the convocation. I found the book to be very interesting - especially concerning her experiences.

I was surprised at her snobby tone in some places - she claimed to be middle class, yet criticized one home she stayed in (bird sitting) because the only spread they had was margarine! (I am still trying to figure out what she would have preferred - real butter, cream cheese, Smart Balance, olive oil?) Of course, that wasn't the only thing she said that was condescending.

However, the book was good, and her experiences were genuine. Some people fault her for her "safety net" of cash, but she was "up front" about it. We all have our limits!

She did a good job of "exposing" the plight of the working poor, especially the unbelievable horrors and hardships caused by the lack of affordable housing. I guess we will start on this book as a topic soon.

Barbara's speech was disappointing in comparison to her writing - I don't think she felt as comfortable on the podium. She seemed "unnerved" by being in North Carolina - the Bible Belt. She professes to be an atheist in her book, but she visits a tent revival, and then "mocked" it. Isn't it strange that it is "politically correct" to be any kind of a person, except a white Christian? Christians seem to be "fair game" in intellectual circles.

She quoted various statistics in her speech, and tried jokingly to reach "common ground" with the student body with comments about drinking, etc. Her speech wasn't as personal or as revealing as the book. When you read the book, you will likely read passages the likes of which you have never read before, such as her descriptions of toilet stains!

Actually, after we finish discussing this book in our class, I plan to send the book to my sister, who has never gone to college, and lives a "working poor" existence - she does live in a trailer. I am going to tell her that she should write a book about the real experiences of the working poor, because she has lived them!

Joyce

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]