View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 computers in primary classrooms 
All-star
All-star

I think I agree that computers should be used only once a child is literate. Otherwise, it seems good to me that a kid be able to use them as soon as they are able. Whether educators like them or not, they are one of the most essential tools needed for students, and for the working world. I do not think they should take the place of typical classwork early on, but should instead supplement it. Obviously, as you get older, it becomes a subject in itself entirely.
I am a little ignorant to some of these things. Many of you have experience in the classroom that I have very little knowledge about. I hope that I can contribute and learn from you all as well.
A little embarrassed at my lack of understanding :oops:
Craig

Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:55 am
All-star
All-star

I feel that young children should be able to read prior to using the computer. I am not familiar with the studies that the computer generated tutoring does not improve reading readiness. As a parent, I find that over exposure to multi-media is a taking over children and preventing them from developing a "love" for reading. That in turn can effect how successful students in school. There is a huge difference in being literate and being able to truly read. I support the later introduction to computers, which would help free up some $$$ for more technology in the higher grades.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I think that introducing technology and computer at an early age is okay. However, I think that we need to limit the use for younger children until they get a little older. I agree with Amy that in regards to young children we need to put less emphasis on computers and more emphasis on reading books. Children pick up things very quickly. It doesn't take long for a child to learn the ins and outs of the land of computers. Why rush it? I am not a parent, but I would be expecting my children, whether at home or at school, to be reading books instead of surfing the internet!

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If your goal is for children to learn to read and to love to read, why does the format matter? For some children, the hook to reading is the computer. I think that technology intergration is vital to our children. Another piece of this discussion becomes teaching children to become good "net" consumers.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that computers should take a back seat to learning to read. However, with some children, a computer might help in the process toward reading.

My little "rent-a-kid" (my husband and my joking term for a nine-year-old non-reader we are mentoring) balks at traditional reading activities. I think he is too accustomed to failure to approach traditional activities like reading books, flashcards, phonics with a "can do" attitude. However, he will play little educational reading games at the computer, not realizing that he is working! We have been able to realize that he reads somewhat better than he "lets on". We think he is "milking the system" for sympathy and easier work by pretending he can't read simple first grade words.

I am frustrated that I haven't been able to "break through" to him as yet, to help him advance his reading skills. This is a great source of frustration for me! He seems to believe that he is stupid - which is what his mother tells him. He was recently adopted by his paternal grandmother. He attended 7 different schools from kindergarten through second grade, due to his mother.

When my 22-year-old son was in the first grade, there was an educational "fad" - called "Writing to Read." Sean was encouraged to write at a computer, but the teacher wasn't supposed to correct his spelling. To this day, I blame that program for his medicre spelling!

I don't think a child will be "crushed" if the teacher gently shows him the correct way to spell the words he is trying to use. What does anyone else think about this?

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]