View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Is NCLB perpetuating or disarming current meritocracy? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Is NCLB, with all of the various sub-group identification and reporting, actually attempting to level the playing field in regards to our current testing, or is it actually perpetuating the idea of ability stratification along race and socioecomonic lines? I keep rolling that question around in my head. :? Any thoughts?

Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:50 pm
All-star
All-star

The guest just posted reply was from me, sometimes I forget to log in before responding. See last guest entry, sorry for any confusion.

Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Will you expand upon how you have seen the NCLB dividing and stratifying school populations? I am familiar with NCLB but from an outsiders perspective.

This is very interesting to me. It really makes me wonder what our educational goals are? Do we strive for a certain level of education for everyone or do we educate everyone equally at their current level. A very fundamental issue.

Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:11 am
All-star
All-star

I certainly hope that NCLB will help level the playing field. I imagine it will take some time, and renewed legislation. The states will need to give badly needed funding to the poor school districts. I am glad that the horribly needy schools, such as those discussed in Savage Inequalities will have their problems quantified. Either they will get enough funding to educate their students, or they will be replaced by some alternative schools.

I would prefer to live in a Meritocracy, where hard work can pay off, than in an Aristocracy, where you either inherit money, or you are out of luck!

Even with NCLB, children of more educated parents, will always have an advantage.

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

An interesting article I came across which gives the publics perspective on NCLB (a focus group of 60 people in Kansas City)

http://64.4.16.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang ... 6l0B7Kl0Ag

Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that link is working ..........try this one.

http://www.mcrel.org/PDF/Standards/5032 ... Deeper.pdf

Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]