View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Natural Aristocracy 
All-star
All-star

I thought the early history of the natural aristocracy which evolved from the Puritan days was quite interesting. I especially feel Jefferson's explanation was lacking. John Adams explanation seemed much better. I think John Adams would have embraced the idea of equal opportunity for all if he lived today. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the natural aristocracy is a dangerous idea. Its funny that Jefferson would articulate himself in such a manner, but it seems consistent with his atti tude that the smartest should be bred to lead. I think that Adams probably would have been more for equal rights, oppurtunity, and advancement. WHen it comes down to it, character, and ethics do not go hand in hand with brilliance or a natural aptitude.
I may be getting off track, but I think that the idea of giving some people advantage over others, for something they haven;'t earned, but were blessed with is foolish. My best example is that there was a NOble prize winning geneticist (I do not know his name) who had an IQ of 85 (the cut off for mild retardation). He was still brilliant. Nothing can measure love for something, determination, and purpose.
I am a true believer in the founding ethics of our country, no matter how abused they werre by our forefathers, that a person has a right to compete in our society, be free and successful in spite of their natural endowments or lack thereof.

Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]