View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Property taxes - the economics of local schools 
All-star
All-star

Since property taxes are the main funding base for local schools, I am curious if anyone has any ideas how the economic ills of impoverished districts can best be addressed? I don't want to see money taken away from any good schools, but the horrors of these Savage Inequalities must be remedied.

I hope that NCLB will focus attention onto these disastrous school situations. I wonder where the money will come from - the Federal government will not bail out all of these schools. Many of the states have serious budget situations now, too. However, if the states do find a way to fund the deficiencies in these poor areas, what backlash might occur in the wealthier areas? Do you envision that some of the local property tax will be replaced by a state or federal tax in future years? I don't know what should happen, but I am sure that the cures will be expensive. Let's hope that (for once) government officials will find an efficient and cost effective method to fund public schools for the fair treatment of all students. I am afraid that more massive and wasteful bureaucracies will be created, with few dollars trickling down to the places that need them the most!

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:48 pm
All-star
All-star

It seems to me that in fact more federal funds could be utilized to address some of the very drastric inequities, since the local property tax route can not hope to ever adequately address the situation in some of the poorest and undercapitalized schools in our nation.

We spend so much money abroad for different cures, it seems like we should take care of our children in poverty so as not to have the negative spiraling effects in our nation...... crime, subsidies, lack of education,injustice......

Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I am surprised that so few had comments on this important idea of how our schools are funded. I would think that this would be an interesting topic of discussion - what method of funding might be superior to our present system, and how could we arrive at that better method?

Patty and I have similar business backgrounds, so I am amused that she was the only one to respond. Maybe no one else feels opinionated on this subject. I guess the alternative is that this subject is too boring to address!

Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, lets see. A tricky question. SO I'll be vague and see if one of our more business/economically endowed classmates can help us out.
I am a social recripricoalist. I belive that people only do things when it helps them in some way (i.e. makes them feel good, serves a higher good like a deity, or ends up receiving monetary reward for example). I think that ifwe redistibute lproperty tax, then we need to give an extra incentive to the rich, rather than just the plain old altruistic one.
HOw could this be done? someone have an idea?

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:15 am
All-star
All-star

I think this is a wonderful topic to discuss. I did not respond because it is such a huge problem, that I wouldn't know where to begin to solve it! It would be nice if the federal govt would provide more funding, but that is highly unlikely considering our national debt and the post-911 era we live in. My husband worked for one year in Hertford County, one of the poorest counties in NC, so I briefly saw how unfair school funding is in NC. Their schools were in such bad shape that they could barely find anyone with a teaching license to work in them. The schools were almost 100% black poor children because all the white children went to private schools. The poorest people who need the MOST help, get the least funding for their schools. I wish I had a solution!

Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree that something needs to be done to bring equality to the public schools, but I'm not sure what the answer is. It does seem strange that the federal govt has money to spend in various places but can't seem to fund our schools to improve our education system.
I received word today that the ABC bonus money promised to teachers in schools that are high achieving is going to be delayed because a large number of schools made this achievement and there is no money in the budget to pay the teachers. In my opinion there is something wrong here.
Money doesn't seem to be anywhere for education.

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]