View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Good News! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been feeling like a punching bag by the end of class for two weeks now. Rather than suffer in silence, I have decided to share good news about how well we really are doing in North Carolina. We ain't perfect, but we certainly aren't going to hell in a handbasket. Below is a letter from State Superintendent, Mike Ward. Just thought you'd like to know.

TO: NC Public School Teachers
DATE: Sept. 11, 2003

Back in 1996-97, the achievement gap between black and white
students was more than 30 points wide. The number of Schools of
Excellence was only 12, and school accountability was a new thing.
Yesterday, when Gov. Easley, State Board Chairman Howard Lee and I
released the 2002-03 ABCs results, the progress was amazing. North
Carolina has stayed the course on school improvement efforts since that
first year of the ABCs of Public Education accountability, and this
year, the pay-off was the highest ever. The percentage of students
performing at the proficient level, also considered grade level, is the
highest in state history. Achievement gaps among different racial groups
have narrowed significantly and across all groups. Black students closed
the gap with white students to 21.9 points, the smallest ever. Nearly
three-fourths of all schools - 73 percent - met the standards for high
growth in 2002-03. Sixty-two percent of all schools, or 1,359, earned
recognition in 2002-03 as either Schools of Distinction or Schools of
Excellence, the two highest performance categories. The heavy lifting
required for these results took place in each of your classrooms and
schools across this state. Thank you for what you are doing for our
children and young people. They are all the better for it. Congratulations!
Regards,
Mike Ward

Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Cindy, thank you for sharing this with us.

Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Cindy, of late the class has taken on an "education bashing" tone. I thought we were all in this together? I agree there is room for improvement, but do we begin from a position of desperation and negativity or is the glass half full? Just a thought.

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:10 am
All-star
All-star

I appreciate you all sharing your thoughts because it has helped me to deal with the negativity I have felt. FIrst, I am sorry if I seem to be negative in my criticisms of school. I am so because I felt ill-served by the public school system and have a desire to better it. Second, I felt horrible after last class, which is why it took me 4 days to post when it usually takes 1. I kind of felt a little hurt by the comment concerning "us" not in the classroom not having the right to place our word. I am sorry if you feel overrun, and I will personally take a more reflective stance. FInally, I am changing my attitude and am being more optimistic in terms of how I can help the school system, and what would best do that.
THanks again for bringing this up, because it has been wearing on me.

Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think while we are trying to examine the issues surrounding education we should try to be more positive and objective. So far my most recent graduate class experiences have been negative. I equate that to the negative connotation from many of the class discussions. Society speaks negatively about education enough, we should not perpetuate the problem. Educators, or future educators need make sure that the positive information is being reported as well. Yes, schools have problems that need to be addressed and I am not blind to that challenge, but there wonderful things happening at schools everyday.

Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:00 am
All-star
All-star

Andy, I agree with you. Our brains usually want to react to the negative aspects first on issues rather than looking at the positives. Instead of hindering on the negatives, we need to celebrate our sucesses. We as educators need to spread good news about what are schools are doing becuase I know that we are doing some magnificent teaching and learning in our counties, our states and our nation.

Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Thanks for the good news about the progress in NC. I realize those results were due to enormous efforts of time, struggle, dedication, and innovation. I am glad to hear an educator say good things about the ABC's and the EOG's, too. Concerning the NCLB legislation, all I have heard from my teachers so far is doom and gloom. To me, it sounds (at least) as if the nation's attention and money are being focused on a very worthy cause, the betterment of lower performing schools. I would think that this new law would be heralded as a "good thing". So, maybe a few "below par" teachers somewhere may lose their jobs in some future year. Shouldn't we rejoice that the children will get a second chance, with better teachers? No good teacher should have to worry - they can find employment with an alternative school if their school is shut down.

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree we should try to maintain our optimism as much as possible, because with a doom and gloom attitude, changes for the better may not be sought and/or fighted for.

If you become complacent and just say nothing is ever going to change, nothing will. The role of a teacher does not have to be confined to teaching children or teaching in school, it is a noble cause in life as well.

What student wants to learn from a teacher who has given up on changing the world for the better anyway!

Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]