View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed 
All-star
All-star

I began reading Nickel and Dimed last week since I did not have the Dewey articles yet. It is a really interesting and captivating book, so I'm having a hard time putting it down! It has given me insight into the lives of people who work low-wage jobs, which is important since many students come from low income families. What has struck me the most so far is how awful the author's diet became and how horrible she felt both mentally and physically as a result of her work. The author, Barbara Ehrenreich, was simply just trying to survive and she did not have any children to support as do the parents of children. Books like this reinforce why children have difficulties learning when they are living in awful conditions, eating "junk food", and not receiving much support from parents who have to work long hours in low-wage jobs. Does anyone else have any thoughts about Nickel and Dimed?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I have not yet began it, but I do appreciate growing up like that. My families diet as youngsters was pretty bad. I rember it was all frozen and fried foods, or ramen noodles. For a loing time we lived off government cheese, milk, and whatever else we got. Its really hard to function like that. In fact, if it weren't for breakfast at school I would have been worse off. I actually attribute the fact that I filled out in high school in college to the fact that I had a better diet. My stomach still is, and probably will be forever, easily agitated because of our poor diets growing up as well as the stress of living low income.
I am not as excited about reading Ehrenreich as you may be. Perhaps its the chip on my shoulder: Barb, tell me something I don't know.

Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]