View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Nickel and Dimed--- Drug testing 
All-star
All-star

Barbara Ehrenreich is obviously against drug testing in the workplace and feels that it lowers productivity becaue of its negative effect on employee morale. She also states that it does not result in reduced rates of accidents and absenteeism (Chapter 3). How do you feel about drug testing?

I agree with the use of workplace drug testing based on my own experiences. When I was in college I worked with students who came to work after smoking pot. In contrast to Ehrenreich's opinions, I observed that it increased absenteesim and tardies, and also caused the smokers to not be very interested in working. The non-smokers usually had to pick up the slack, which caused their morale to be lowered.

I have a neighbor who was addicted to pain killers and one of the reasons she doesn't take them now is because he employer has begun random drug testing. She was a nurse that worked directly with lower income children and adults! I most certainly don't want someone on drugs providing medical attention to anyone.

I had to take a drug test and have my fingerprints put on file with the FBI before I began working for First Union. Many of my friends also had drug tests and none of us felt negatively about it. Are we in the minority? How do you feel?

Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:47 am
All-star
All-star

Beth, I agree with you I also see no problem with drug testing in the workplace. I feel that it is important to have "drug free" people in the workplace and drug testing is one way to ensure this. I know of many jobs that require drug testing and have never heard opposition to it. If there was complaint it was from someone who used drugs and didn't want to get caught.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:27 am
All-star
All-star

It is our responsibilty as educators to provide a safe and orderly learning environment for our children. If drug testing provides safety and order in our schools then yes, I agree with both of you. Like Shelly said, I have never heard any complaints about the requirement in our system.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

IN the book, Ehrenreich states that no valid proof had been established that users of drugs were absent more etc. If this is true, then wouldn't denying a user a job do more harm than good? ARe we telling addicts that because they use, and may or may not have a problem, that they are not worthy of working?
I can appreciate why companies do it, but some users are not going to gurt them by doing drugs (assuming they are not using the chain to sell).

Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't have any problem with drug testing, as long as it is done for a good reason. It is funny, I once worked for a textile company, and they did drug testing. At one point, they temporarily suspended the drug testing for new hires, because they weren't getting enough applicants! We all thought that was hilarious.

Yes, I thought Barbara Ehrenreich was a little radical in her views on the subject. I guess she thinks she should be able to smoke pot consequence free. I wonder if she has been "busted" for drugs since her book came out?

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]