View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Coleman report - blaming parents instead of the schools 
All-star
All-star

We never really discussed the 1966 Coleman Report, mentioned in The Big Test. That was the report that the politicians decided put the blame on the parents, not the schools of the black children who were low performing. That was their excuse for not upgrading black schools, but to mandate widespread busing of students. (We all know that no one wants their child to spend long hours on a bus every day - what a waste of time!) Yet, the book said that (in an internal memo) an ETS statistician told that the data could be interpreted in the direct opposite manner, putting the blame on the schools, not the parents. See page 160 at the bottom. (This gives credence to the old line "statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics.")

Along these same lines, I wanted to ask the experienced educators in the class to tell their anecdotes and experiences of ways in which teachers, counselors, and others in education can have a positive impact on the children's parents, and thus, their home life. What tactics/policies have been successful in fostering more parental involvement in your students' school, homework, and reading activities? I just read a fascinating book Other People's Words (by Victoria Purcell-Gates) that told of a mother's struggles and inability to help her son, due to her own illiteracy. Is there any viable way to offer help to families like this?

I think now I have started my ten threads, so now I can relax! I hope more of you will start adding your thoughts. What a shy group we have!

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Parental involvement starts with establishing lines of communication. It is very important for teachers to reach out to parents. Sometimes teachers get so busy with everything else they have to do that they have little time to make parent contacts. When this happens many of the contacts are negative because a call is made when the student is bad or is performing poorly. It is not long and parent will begin to dread picking up the phone and hearing someone from the school. Schools have to avoid this type of scenario. Parents need to hear the good things as well...let parents know how proud we are of their children.

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that schools do need to reach out to families as well. The school and the family m,ay be the most influential system on an person throughout their development. The more these two merge, the more powerful, and positive expereince a student can have. It probably helps create more consiterncy in a students life when the school community and the family have similar expectations.
REaching out for teachers has got to be tough. They work so hard and long. When one can get the parents involved, even though some in probability will not, then the chances of a students success in life is escalated.

Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:00 am
All-star
All-star

Parent involvement is one of the most powerful tools in education. When teachers and principals work to involve parents amazing things happen in the school and with the children. My former elementary school held monthly sessions educating parents on how to work with their child in doing the daily homework assignments and helping their student(s) to become stronger readers. Often times the parents would struggle with reading themselves so the sessions were designed to educate the parent on how to read as well as help their student. Needless to say this proved to be very successful for the school and still continues to be beneficial.
The principal also becomes involved in parent contacts by using positive phone calls. Teachers turn in praise notes for students and the principal then makes a home contact to inform the parents and brag on the child. This is very beneficial in motivating the children as well as letting the parents know that a phone call for the principal doesn't always mean something bad.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:43 am
All-star
All-star

Those are good ideas! I do remember getting one positive phone call from one of my son's teachers when he was in high school - it was a real joy.

Great idea about the monthly sessions to help the parents help the child. I know parents like this - who care enough to go, but they need help themselves.

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:56 pm
All-star
All-star

This is a daily struggle for all educators, whether you are dealing with black students or any culture different from your own. I have found the saying "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!" to be an accurate reflection on all families. Children learn what they live, regardless of their culture, ethnicity, or race. This can be very difficult when dealing with parents whose children are struggling behaviorally or academically in that it is virtually impossible to change the mindset of others, therefore, you must learn to accept their ideas and explain how useful they can be in certain situations, but present the school vision in way that the parents can buy in or feel a part of it in order to get their support and involvement in helping the students succeed. It is a very difficult journey!

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]