View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Questions in Class 
All-star
All-star

Since our smaller groups didn't have time to talk as a larger group about the questions Dr. Turner asked in class, I thought we could talk about them in the forum. The questions were:

1. What kinds of changes would/are happening in schools. What would it take to implement Dewey's ideas in existing public schools? How different would they need to be?

2. Affirmative action: Have you learned any lessons from The Big Test regarding what it might mean to be "well qualified" for college?
"Aptitude vs Achievement"

Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Our group didn't get to the 2nd question but I think it is a very interesting one. I think that most people in our society think of America as a meritocracy. I do firmly believe that it is important for us to be represented at all levels by a diverse group made up of all races. However where affirmative action causes problems within our society is that it blatantly goes against the spirit of achievement which has become part of our national identity. Furthermore, it is really the only thing which has penetrated that meritocratic (not sure if that is a word) ideal. If the supreme court says that quotas are illegal but race can be used as a factor then what about all of the other variables within our society. Harvard isn't factoring in whether or not your family was poor or whether you were raised in a single family home.

It is a tough question of how to remain a meritocracy and yet ensure that all minority groups are allowed to participate. One of the problems may be that we expect everyone to perform equally well in a curriculum which has been designed over the years by the white majority. Hopefully some food for thought...........

Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]