View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Low Wage Jobs 
All-star
All-star

Has anyone worked in low wage jobs as Barbara Ehrenreich and experienced anything similar or different? I thought her observations and experiences while wating tables are very accurate. I waited tables at a very popular all-you-can-eat restaurant in Boone and at an upscale country club in Charlotte. My parents were supporting me, so I did not have to try and live off my pay but it was really an eye opening experience.

Ehrenreich observed, as I did, the health problems my coworkers had. All of them smoked constantly to relieve stress, I assume, because they were working such long hours. In Boone people in their fifties and sixties would work doubles (7am-9:30 pm) to make enough money in the summers and "leaf seasons" to help them be able to get by in the winter. We did not have any breaks or a lunch, so these poor people were exhausted and many had stress induced health problems. Their diets were not great because to save money they ate most of their meals at work where we could eat free fried ham, fried chicken, and other great tasting, yet unhealthy, southern food.

I really feel for people who work in low wage jobs and am glad Ehrenreich has brought more attention to this important problem. Hopefully this book will help Americans perceive the working poor differently and cause some positive changes.

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I was truly amazed after reading Nickel and Dimed. I knew very little about the problems assoicated with low wage jobs. I guess I have never really stopped to think about how little money people working low wage jobs receive and then how they have to make it stretch so far. This book has really opened my eyes to the poor working class.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:53 am
All-star
All-star

I read Nickel and Dimed this summer. Ever since I read the book, when I walk into a Target, Kmart, Walmart etc., I think back to the book and what Barbara experienced. I am very aware of the employees around me and I often think about their pay and how they must get by. Before reading this book, I have to confess that I sometimes didn't put merchandise back in its proper place. Now, I make sure that I put merchandise back in the correct spot, even placing them by sizes and colors. I was in Target just the other day and saw a rack of clothes that was very disorganized. I thought about the person that probably had to arrange those clothes before they left for the evening. We should be thankful for what we have in life. Many people are not as fortunate as we are. This book is definitly an eye opener.

Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

One job I had when I was in college was working at the Gap. You may remember that in the old days the back wall was full of just sweat pants and sweat shirts arranged by color and size. It was required that at all times this wall be perfectly folded. That meant everytime someone messed them up (pulling ususally from the middle of the stack), an employee would have to immediately go to the wall and fix them back.

Montioring the wall and the exact way you folded shirts (they had a special ironing board like object to use) was a big big deal working there. They did give a good employee discount for clothes (including mark-downs), but most students were working in this college town and this was not their only source of income. There were no older employees that I recall, the manager was barely out of college herself. I wish I could remember the hourly rate I was paid back then.........

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:21 am
All-star
All-star

I have waited tables, cleaned vacation rental properties, and done the Wal-Mart thing, as well as many other low wage jobs. After serving other people, I have came to believe that everyone should have to wait tables as part of their character education. It humbles you to a point that you do not take wait staff for granted in the future, as a customer. It just amazes me as to how rude some people really are.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]