View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Coworker Reactions to Ehrenreich 
All-star
All-star

I think there is a good question in Nickel and Dimed for us to discuss in this forum.

Were you surprised by the casual reactions of Ehrenreich's coworkers when she revealed herself as an undercover writer? Were you surprised that she wasn't suspected of being "different" or out-of-place despite her graduate-level education and usually comfortable lifestyle?

Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I was somewhat surprised by the reaction of her co-workers, but not after I thought about it. Didn't one of them say something like, "Does that mean you're not coming in tomorrow?" I think that shows that we human beings at first react to "How is this news going to affect me?" They were probably also stunned, and perhaps wondering if she was joking. Maybe they didn't believe it until they saw her books in the shop windows!

It's very hard to see someone in a completely different light "all of a sudden". For example, I remember when I first attended a co-worker's church - seeing him standing in front of the church singing "cracked me up" - it was several weeks until my mind "accepted" this new role for him (even though I knew he attended church and was active).

I guess Ms. Ehrenreich played her role convincingly, and didn't discuss any "high brow" subjects with her co-workers. Supposedly, people with money can tell high priced makeup and haircuts, but it isn't as apparent to those who use the cheaper products and services. I don't know if this is true or not - I have never been to a spa... She was careful to carry a limited utilitarian wardrobe, so she didn't have quality clothing giving her away. Barbara did say that her better speech propelled her into the waitressing jobs, when she applied for the hotel cleaning positions.

Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I was not at all surprised by the co-workers opinion of her disguised career. Most people who have become accustomed to their fortunate or unfortunate situations in life reach acceptance. They are seldomly effected by those around them-professionally speaking. They accept that their life will continue the same way tomorrow, regardless of how their co-workers or aquintances carry on with their lives. If they appeared surprised or interested that would only make their lives that much more inferior, and cause even more unrest. Therefore, the "no big deal" attitude is their safeguard against facing the injustices and the turmoil of their day to day lifestyle.

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:45 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I was not surprised by Ehrenreich's coworkers' reactions when she revealed that she was an undercover writer. I think the explanation was quite simple. Ehrenreich's coworkers were simply too physically exhausted to care one way or the other. They heard what she said but could care less. The long hours, low wages, high rents, and not much of a future to look forward to leaves one with a feeling of dispair. The attitude of the coworkers was "so what" in a pleasant way of course.

Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]