View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 UNC System offering more seats to nonresidents 
All-star
All-star

In today's (October 5th) Charlotte Observer there is an article on the front page about how leaders of the University of NC system are seriously considering giving non-North Carolinians more seats at all 16 public campuses. Currently state campuses must limit out-of-state freshman to 18% of each entering class, but a plan would increase this over a five year period to 22 %. The new nonresident slots would got to "the most talented and academically gifted students", including National Merit Scholars and black and hispanic applicants. Supporters want to attract "top students and ensure cultural and geographic diversity" and improve the NC System's reputation nationally.

People who oppose more out-of-state students feel that there would be fewer spots for the NC residents who have been paying taxes to support the campuses for both NC residents and nonresidents. The NC House Co-Speaker Richard Morgan said "I don't want to see less fortunate North Carolinians miss out because more out-of-state students get in." If the change occurs, this would allow 1,000 more nonresidents instead of residents to be accepted each year. I think this is an interesting issue for us to consider.

Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, that sounds like a worthy goal (to add more diversity to the campuses), but bad politics, to stop that many in-state freshman from attending UNC - it can be tough to get in as it is. Yet, there is always the Community College system for those same 1000 students, who might actually be more successful if they learned good study habits at the Community College, and transferred in to UNC as sophomores or juniors.

My son was very immature when he graduated from high school, and he hadn't even bothered applying to any 4 year colleges, so he went to Surry Community College for one year. Then he transferred to NC State, where he has thrived. He "missed out" on some of the freshman idiocy some kids go through on campus, but he also found Surry to be more of an extension of high school in the academic and social sense, so he was glad to get away from there. If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure if I would advise him differently.

Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:07 am
All-star
All-star

Post UNC
I think they are right that the increase in out of state students will raise the entire level of the school, but I am hurting for the students here. It's making the university less accesible and pulling it away from the community. Not sure if it's right or wrong, but I think it will hurt the states overall education.

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]