View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Innocent or Evil? 
All-star
All-star

Last night in the class video on the Genisus Conversation, the discussion touched on human nature. I was just curious does anyone believe that humans are innately evil or innately innocent? I would like to believe that everyone is innocent and the environment does most of the validation of the good naturedness or totally corrupts the individual. However, I am sure that there are cases that it is neither black or white. What are your alls thoughts on this?

Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Etilology...hmm, I talk about this in every class.
I think, that it doesn't matter too much, but this is how I look at it. MY experiences, early in life, with people have been pretty bad. I tend to see through peoplke fast and protect myself from others. I can see a scam easy, and I tend to think humans take the easy way out. SO, I tend to see people as generally evil, misguided, whatever. However, I counter that by consciously telling myself people are good, and they all have potential [/u] for good. SO I think its important to balance oneself. If you think people are all good, than be ready to defend yourself or get walked all over. If like, you kind of see people as shady, then open yourself up more.
I hope this helps, it's somethoing I have thought about a lot.

Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:58 am
All-star
All-star

I think children are born innately innocent, but the environment can cause them to become evil. Evil adults, living situations, extreme poverty, etc. cause children to change and sometimes become evil. Many of the rapists, murderers, etc. you hear about in the news have had horrible things happen in their lives that contributed to them becoming evil people.

Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a mixed opinion. I believe that we are born innocent, but innately self centered. I agree that the environment largely shapes a person for good or for ill. Over my adult life, I have had several encounters with seemingly good people who have done some bad things, such as embezzlement, etc. More and more I find myself saying, "There but for the grace of God go I."

Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Amy - I loved your question! To my way of thinking, I believe humans are inherently redeemable. I have never subscribed to evil or good natured, but I do believe in the salvation of all. I had a great Sunday School teacher in college, Sam Bailey, and he was always reminding us how the Old Testament concealed is simply the New Testament revealed. With Cain and Abel, Cain represents the world and Abel represents the perfect sacrifice, ie. Jesus. I find it spiritually satisfying that Cain is "marked" and that he cannot be touched or killed. Kinda foreshadows the New Testament concept of salvation, or am I oversimplifying it? :D

Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:12 am
All-star
All-star

I think that we are all born innocent but with the knowledge of good and evil. As we grow and mature, the environment begins to influence us giving us guidance in either the right or wrong direction. Using this influence and the knowledge we have, we make the choice as to whether we are good or evil.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Good and Evil is very much in the eye of the beholder. I do believe ultimately we are motivated by our own self-interests. Whether this is played out in a "good" or "evil" manner is up to the individual and may vary based upon individual perspective.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]