View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Morality and Religion 
All-star
All-star

Are morals a direct stem of religion? In education can we teach morals and if so, who is in charge of determining what the basis of those morals will be? Even within one society, such as ours, do all people share a common set of morals? I personally do not think so, especially after dealing with such diverse people. I do believe that most people share the belief that they are entitled to their ideas and values and do not have to conform to anyone elses. What are some thoughts on this?

Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree that we do not share the same morals. However I do not believe that everyone thinks they are entitled to be heard. I think some people really believe in censorship, on one level or another, and that that kind of censorship promotes solidarity of values, because no one can ever hear diufferent.
Let me know if I missed the ball on this. I just do not think that everyone has the same morals, and I amnot sure if the school has the right to directly influence them (other than obeying laws). Obviouslly people acquire them indirectly which toi me is fortunate

Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:53 am
All-star
All-star

Good question, Amy! I also agree that our society doesn't have one set of morals. I think people in our society have extremely diverse morals regarding different things such as sex, alcohol, and drugs. What is morally acceptable among teenagers today is so diverse compared to what was acceptable when I was in high school. For example, I wasn't aware of anyone who was gay in my high school in the late 1980s. In contrast, there were many openly gay and bisexual students at the high school in Charlotte in which my Mom worked a few years ago.

There are some basic morals such as "treat others how you would like to treated", that I think most people in our society would agree with. I believe basic morals such as this can and should be taught in the classroom.

Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I think there are many basic moral principles that should be modeled, respected, and encouraged in the schools. In fact, I think some teachers have been too hands off when in comes to building character in the classrooms. It is the whole concept sometimes referred to as "tough love".

Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Morals are being taught in many of our schools. It is called character education. However, this is not being done without some controversy. Many people do not want schools telling their children what to value and which morals they should follow. How sad. I am a huge fan of character education.

Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:47 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes it is sad that the school has to step in where some parents have abdicated responsibility to teach values, morals, and good character to their children. I am glad that the schools are willing to attempt this, although I am sure it is no easy task. At least, these subjects are being discussed in classes, even though there are many moral issues that are controversial.

There are many ways to be morally wrong, and still not be breaking a law, so I am glad that we try to educate our students about fair play, kindness, truthfulness, good manners, thrift, courage, maturity, selflessness, etc.

Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What you've proposed is an interesting question - the answer to which can not easily be answered. I find it interesting though that as our society went from post industrial to the informational age the trend concerning morals went from apparant consensus to a basic free-for-all. I am not judging either end of the spectrum, but one must ask the question: has the preponderance of information made our society better or worse? There are arguments for both sides, but if we step back and look dispassionately at our society, can we really say the pace at which information assaults our young is a good thing? I'd venture to guess not.

I know I am not answering your question directly, but indirectly I think the issue of morals and ethics in the classroom is a vastly important topic. Much like Daphne's posting about cameras in the classroom, I wonder if our society is not moving away from intrinsically motivated morality towards a scary concept of governmental or societal sponsored morality. I truly believe we rely too much on government already - to ask it to define our moral fabric is to ask it to define who and what we are. While laws and ethics are government's purview, is it necessarily morality? Isn't that the realm of our churches, synagouges, and temples? :?:

Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:51 am
All-star
All-star

I too believe there are many different moral principles in the world today. I do feel that charcter education in the schools is making a small difference in some children. THe morals of today are much different than those I grew up with. Many families seem to be so disconnected and lack the ability to "teach" morals in the home. I feel like school is the only hope for many children gain understanding in morals. I also it is the responsibility of school employees to set an example for these children, otherwise there is no hope for them.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]