View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 religion in ishmael 
All-star
All-star

SOmeone said in one of their threads that we do not state our true opinions in class. That is bogus! To prove it I want to start a thread on religion in Ishmael. I think Religion is one of the biggest reasons people oppose new, controversial ideas. How does religion hurt us in that respect? How does it limit us?
As a Christian I believe in an absolute God, but I do not consider it my place to tell other people how to live. I think people like Jerry Falwell have taken something that is suppose to give people meaning and crushed it by being beligerent and sayin he has the truth. Sorry folks, there are few truths in the world that humans can grasp, and a lot of the seem incompatible with religion. I think religion is too strict. Maybe its just the Quaker in me speaking.

Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:44 am
All-star
All-star

Religion fascinates me, I love to read about different types of religion. I do agree that religion in general is to strict. I believe it serves a purpose, but I am not convinced that it is trully spiratual or theraputic to devout followers. In many cases, I think it is the driving force to the demise of certain individuals, which in turn directly effects society. That tendency can be seen throughout history, across many religious faiths.

Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Craig, you may be a "what you see is what you get" type of guy, but I know that I don't share the full extent of my Christian or Conservative viewpoints, especially when I think the teacher probably has a very different opinion. It's not like we are all at "Oprah's Book Club" - we do hope to get a decent grade in the class.

If I were to discuss Ishmael with my (former) pastor, who is a very educated and intellectual person, I would have talked about all sorts of issues brought up in the book, that I wouldn't "touch with a 10 foot pole" in a class like ours! Did you notice they didn't dispute anything about Evolution in that book - both sides agreed, and then went on. Some people do believe in Intelligent Design, and find a very logical basis for their beliefs.

Have you noticed that the postings are read much more than they are answered? I take that to mean that people don't want to express their opinions. Also, judging by the fact that some people rarely speak up in class, I would guess that they think their opinion would not be what the teacher wants to hear! Or maybe they are just shy, tired, or hoping if they say nothing, we might get to go home early.

Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm saddened by your choice not to touch the hot topics. How else do we learn but by stretching our opinions, and knowledge? I guess in some ways it beyond the scope of the class to meander too far from the subject but, I have no fear of my grade for speaking my opinion. I hope that you can feel the same way. If I ever took a class where my opinion is never taken into consideration than I would drop the class immediately.

Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]