View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dr. Seuss, The Matrix and, have you seen a Who lately? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I spent the whole trip home going over in my mind the concept of lies and Ishmael and I couldn't help but think about movies like the Matrix - and I even ventured over into Seuss and the Who's. Perception, truth, ethics and morals fascinate me - especially society's reaction to it. I suppose what touched me the most about the discussion last night was about stories. I feel many of us would like very much to change the world whole-sale, but feel frustrated with our inability to affect change. I think it is poignant that the whole book basically involves two people, with a teacher trying to effect ONE student. I believe that is the crux of the message: let's not concern ourselves with changing everyone's story all at the same time, change your story and make your story count! Society is always trying to latch onto a common story. I feel we need to change our mindset and begin to find contentment in making our own individual stories count. What do you all think?

Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:35 am
All-star
All-star

Well put Michael. It seems that as humans we tend to be our biggest enemay. One step at a time. CHange onself, teach and live that change and spread it around. Besides good change tends to be more slow and usually more permanent.
Thanks for starting this thread.

Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ishmael really did focus on the mistruths and lies that our culture and society perpetuate. It is impossible to change things all at once. Very few things can cause a society to change in an instant, and then the change is usually temporary. Change works best when it happens one person at a time. Start with the one in the mirror.

Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:19 pm
All-star
All-star

O.K. so you mean like the little girl in Dr. Suess's The Grinch, who changed his heart from bad to good and then the whole town got their X-mas presents back?

Just kidding, I couldn't resist messing with your subject title....... It is relevant........ I didn't see the Matrix? Am I missing something there? If so, please enlighten me. By the way did I misspell Suess?

Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I loved the first Matrix movie, but I was dissappointmed in the Matrix Reloaded. I thought the Matrix was "mind blowing" in many ways - it had my brain "chug-chugging" for at least 24 hours after I watched it. My son was the person who told us we needed to see it.

For those who haven't seen it - the larger plot is that the world is a complete sham, and that we are living in a computer simulation. Human beings are motionless and locked into devices that run the machine world off of our electrical impulses. Their is no real earth, it has been destroyed in the war between man and machines, and the machines/computers won.

Then a few people are free of the Matrix, and try to free others, by plugging their brains back into the Matrix on their "missions". The movie is loaded with layers and layers of symbolism and parallels to works of literature. Even the main character - Neo - can be construed as a "type of Christ". Someone told me the philosophy is actually more Hindu than anything else.

So the point Michael was making was what if even more (or all) of what we believe to be true is all lies? We can certainly make ourselves nuts by dwelling on this too long! But, of course, a certain amount of questioning of institutions and ideas, etc. is healthy to developing an intellectual viewpoint, and to avoid being gullible!

Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]