View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Traditional vs Year Round 
All-star
All-star

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day about year round schools. What do you all think about year round schools vs. the traditional year? Does anyone have any experience with year round schools? Its seems as if the philosophy and implementation of year round schools never really got off the ground as much as one would expect.

Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:57 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I taught in a school system that had previously been a year round school system. The reason they stopped being a year round system was that research shows that it doesn't improve learning and it is more expensive. Many of the parents liked year round school because it provided more opportunities for vacations during the less crowded times of the year.

Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm surprised that the year round schools didn't improve learning. I always forgot my multiplication tables every year, and had to relearn them each fall! (It became easier each year.) However, now that I think about it, I guess instead of one big "forgetting" period, the year-round schools just breaks it down into smaller forgetting periods!

I thought that the year-round school plan was supposed to allow better and more timely remediation for the students who needed it. Perhaps enough of these students didn't participate, or the remediation programs offered weren't as tailor made to the children's needs as they should have been.

I can certainly understand why the year-round concept was more expensive - more dollars for the teachers (who work during the breaks), much higher utility dollars to air condition the entire school all summer, etc.

Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I haven't taught in a year round school but there was one within the county where I taught. It did not prove beneficial. It was more costly and the results were no better than those of the traditional school. THe down time between the grading periods served as a "forget time" just as the summer does is traditional schools. THe remediation that was held during this time caused several students to "hate" school because they felt as if they never received a break.

Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]