View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Class for Nov. 11 
All-star
All-star

I am starting the post discussing last night's class for those who missed it. We began class with a discussion of Poisnwood, singling in on Nathan Price and what he stood for in the book. Many of us were concern for his character because he seemed too rigid. We discussed the fact that he was unwilling to learn which caused many hardships for he and his family. There was also discussion of how his family followed him without question although they were very unhappy.
After this lengthy discussion we viewed a video from 60 minutes on Sudbury School. THis is a school very different from the traditional school. In this school there is no set time for school. CHildren are just required to arrive at school sometime between 8:30 -12:30. Once children arrive they are free to choose how their day will be spent. They have the opportunity to do just about anything from playing video games to playing outside in the snow. Learning as we know it only takes place if the child chooses that as a choice for the day. There is constant social interaction of various ages throughout the day. THe student body is self governing. They make their own rules and then meet as a group to decide punishment for a student who breaks the rules.
After this video we divided into two groups and debated which school would be the best, the traditional school or one such as Sudbury.
I will let someone else pick up here and discuss the debate and any further notes I may have left out.

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would love to hear more about the discussion of the Sundbury school versus traditional schools. That sounds very interesting. Where is Sundbury, and what type of accountability standards does it have to fulfill? Is there a curriculum? How do they measure student progress? I am intrigued. Any information would be appreciated?

As for which is better, I do not know. I tend to think that characteristics of both could be blended together to form a great school. I wonder how Deborah Meier might view a school such as Sundbury.

Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]