View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Preparing for the unknown. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While I read Poisonwood, especially the beginning, I could not help but feel for the family. They were entering a new life and dealing with customs and surrounding completly foriegn to them. They had heard from others about the way things were, but one never knows anything until it is experienced. What the family knew to be true was not always the case. In thier new world truth became a comlicated concept.
They tried to prepare for things the best way they could by taking things that in their world made sense to have, but after getting to Africa what once made sense now did not.

I really made a connection to the family and their struggles because I am struggling right now as well. Many people have offered advice and given information about what I can expect from my father and his injury. However as I experience more and more I feel completely engulfed in his new world. Everything is different and what once made sense now does'nt.

Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:55 am
All-star
All-star

Yes, when a loved one is ill, it turns a family upside down. I know that from my oldest son's hospitalizations, surgeries, and his death in 1991.

The Price family wasn't the family it could have been, because the "leader" Nathan didn't know how to be a leader, and he didn't know how to be a parent or a husband, or a Pastor, or an Evangelist, or how to ask the right practical and philosophical questions before his trip, or during his family's stay in Africa. His demons and his ego were his downfall, and provoked his family's losses.

Andy, you too are in a new "country" with the new demands on your life, and the many unknowns you are facing. You probably wish you could return to the "boredom" of your former existence! If you have time to recognize it, you are probably experiencing some symptoms of grief, as well. (Watch the TV show on CBS at 8 p.m. on Fridays - Joan of Arcadia - this family is dealing with their oldest son who is now a paraplegic.)

As with any other major life changing event, try to find a good support group, including family members, neighbors, etc. Don't be afraid to ask for help - you will need it. Avoid those people that make you feel worse! Doctors will often give you a "worst case scenario", so be hopeful that perhaps things might turn out somewhat better than they predict.

Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]