View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 writing process 
All-star
All-star

I did not want to delay our break last night by adding my two cents, but I agree with Patty and DJ’s remarks about the writing process. This process was taught to me at both ASU and UNCC and it is a very effective process when used correctly. Important parts of the writing process that Delpit omits in her argument are the revising and editing stages. During these stages the child’s work is edited and revised to include Standard American English. Children are encouraged in the prewriting stage and first draft to concentrate on what they are communicating, not on getting every single comma, period, and capital letter correct. In my opinion, this process reflects what professional writers do when they write. Most published work contains many revisions, corrections and edits. Standard American English is addressed in the writing process, but in the stage that is most developmentally appropriate for a beginning writer.

Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Writing as a process sure is tough. I'm on my 3rd, and not even close to final copy of a research article. My teacher wants to work with me on publishing it, but I predict 6 more revisions.
I am sure I am o0ff track, but process probably has it's strengths in realizing there is always more to be done.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:24 am
All-star
All-star

It sounds as if the problem with process writing in some classrooms is that it rarely gets past stage one, the brainstorming/"get the ideas down" stage. If that's all some kids are required to do, no wonder they are lacking in spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills.

(I even TRY to edit my e-mail that I write - I go back over it to make sure that my pronouns aren't vague, and try to read it from the reader's point of view. Of course, sometimes I miss a very stupid error!)

An instructional technique can be worthy and sound when it is designed, but it can "fall apart" when a teacher forgets to balance his/her emphasis of all the parts or steps of the process. (Teachers are human, and humans tend to "hear what they want to hear" sometimes.)

I hope to use common sense, (backed up by my personal school experiences) as "checks and balances" for any "new" method I might try in a classroom. I wish we had had more time to share teaching experiences in this class - I would have loved some input from these experienced educators!

Well, Craig - your article sounds intriguing. Why don't you post it on our website at some point? I'd love to read it! What is the topic?

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Joyce, I am not sure if there's enough room. Its about 14 pages with references.

Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:58 am
All-star
All-star

Or, Craig, if you feel like e-mailing it to me, try jjarrard@rivercto.net.

I won't have a chance to read it until after my exams, but I am always fascinated by people who can discuss philosophy intelligently! I did get an A+ years ago on a philosophy paper, but that was "long, long ago in a galaxy far far away." Also, a philosphy major had given me an interesting couple of articles that were exactly what I was writing about, so that is probably what impressed the professor!

Too bad I don't remember the stuff! I am going to have to look concepts up on the internet to do this take-home exam. (I have been feverishly finishing projects due today, so I can't start until tonight.)

Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Joyce,
I do not know how it happened but somehow my paper has been mistaken for a philosophy paper. WHen I shared my thoughts on the process of writing I was just relating my personal experience of writing my paper for my addictions class. Regardless if you want to read it you may. I warn that it is probably, OK it is, boring, but informative. Title: "Heroin Use Among Adolescents: Implications for the Consulting School Counselor.".
I do not believe I have written much in the realm of philosophy, but I should. Maybe after I know my stuff better. Anyway, I do not have the paper now (though I fear you may be warded off).

Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]