View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Final Exam 
All-star
All-star

I know that DJ and I were talking about using this board a little better this time to discuss the final exam. I just pulled it off the web and as I was reading the questions I thought it was looking pretty good until I read #8,9, and 10. Then I yelled YIPES! I was wondering if question #8 had to do with the voices of the "takers" and the "leavers"? I might be missing something hear, but I need help with the clarification of this question. I haven't even started to think about 9 or 10.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:08 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

For number 9, I think Ishmael would describe the intent of the creators of the SAT as being "takers" or Eugenicists. These takers are trying to create a system that allows other "takers" to have access to education and be the leaders. Just my opinion, but I'd like to hear anyone elses too.

I'm confused about numbers 8 and 10 too. Can anyone help?

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

To add on to your interpretation of #9, do you think that the idea of creating safe competion without the notion of waging war plays a part in Ishamael's thoughts about the intent of the SAT? I may really be way out in left field, but I am trying to think and talk through this. Help!

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Yes, I agree that Ishmael would say the creators of the SAT are "waging war".

I just went to the www.Ishmael. com website and there is a great Q & A section that Daniel Quinn answers. I typed Mother Culture into the subject and after reading many of the questions and answers, I now have a better understanding of Mother Culture. So, anyone having questions might want to check out this website. Mother Culture’s chief teaching is that the world was made for Man, and Man was made to conquer and rule it. Mother Culture is the "voice" we hear that tells us we should be "takers".

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:42 pm
All-star
All-star

It is ironic that you found the Ishmael website. I was told by someone else that their was a website. I have been on it a few times. It is quite interesting.

I am glad that I was thinking correctly about Mother culture being the voices to be the takers.

Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I am also "freaking" over this test - wondering how I am going to write up three projects this weekend (for other classes) and re-read all these books in order to do this test! I'll definitely have to reread some of Rorty, since I remember zilch. (However, I also "freaked" over the last test, but I ended up doing pretty well on it, surprisingly enough. I did work for over 8 hours on it, though.)

Because of this weekend's workload, I stayed up in Boone this weekend. However, I went "on strike" last night after a week of tests. I drank a wine cooler, ate a (Weight Watchers) pizza, and read a cheesy short romance novel, instead of working on my projects!

I only see about 2 questions on this test that I can answer off the top of my head. The rest are dumfounding me. Obviously, I need to search my notes in the desperate hope I have written down something enlightening!

Even the fact that she wants short answers is a problem - it means we can't write everything we can think of, hoping the "right answer" will be in there somewhere! (That "shotgun spray" tactic has gotten me through many essay questions in my life, I'm embarrassed to say.)

It amazes me that we discussed all of these books in class, and yet we only "discussed" a few of these points, that are now deemed to be weighty and important.

Thanks for the the suggestion of the Ishmael website. If I were going to write to write to Quinn personally I'd want to know how/why a former monk would turn into an atheist - as he strikes me -someone who "worships" the Earth, the Creation, rather than the Creator.

I wish I had some help to offer. If anyone wants to correspond directly, I'm at jjarrard@earthlink.com I wish I had Craig's knowledge of philosophy. I had two philosophy courses, but that was 30 years ago!

Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I have been pondering these questions for two days. I took Friday off school to work on it, but I still haven't started. This exam is just a bit scary. I guess I will have to start sometime and not look back. I thought I took pretty good notes this time around, but they don't seem to be much help. I agree with you Joyce that we only discussed a few of these points that are on the test. YIPES!! Has anyone else out there not started that can participate in a discussion? #10- Do you think Rorty wants to emphasis the importance of approaching these schools as pragmatist with a "t" instead of a realist with a "T"? Am I on the right track?

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just glanced at the exam as well and must admit that I share your opinion that little of this was the focus of our discussions. I am going to take tonight to let it soak in.

One thing that struck me concerning Ishmael's view toward the SAT is that it probably would have a lot to do with the silent presence of Mother Culture. He focuses a lot on our "mythology" which we take for granted. The SAT strikes me as a tool which educators have taken for granted but which also is as much myth as fact. Just a thought...... I'll check back tomorrow.

Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]