View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom 
All-star
All-star

As I begin to read this article, my school comes to mind. My school is an Equity Plus school which is majority African-American. Four-fifths of the staff is white. Most of the time they do not have a clue as to how to deal with the African-American students so they label them (especially the males) and plot to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Does the school in this article remind you of your school or a school in which you taught in or one that a fellow teacher told you about?

Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:35 pm
All-star
All-star

At my school I don't think it is that teachers are trying to get rid of the African-American students as much as it is that they don't know how to communicate with them. Some teachers can't accept the cultural differences that may exist.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:39 pm
All-star
All-star

To add to a point that Mike made-Some teachers don't even realize there are cultural differences much less accept them.

Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:29 pm
All-star
All-star

My principal has made a point of educating all children and is adamant about holding high expectations for all children. She even announced in a staff meeting that if a teacher holds a preconceived perception about African-American children being underachievers then maybe they were at the wrong school. This announcement came about when a staff member made a comment that she was shocked that an African-American male in her classroom had obtained the highest score on the 1st quarter tests in both Reading and Math. My principal, who happens to be white, frequently discusses strategies and research that meets the needs of the African-American population. Leadership sets the tone for a school--I'm convinced of that.

I am fortunate to work in a school where all children are valued. This is particularly important for me because I am a parent of one African-American male and another on the way. I know that negative stereotypes of black males exist in schools and in classrooms. I pray that my sons will not have teachers who hold the negative stereotypes, and both my husband and I will be active in our sons' education to ensure their success.

Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]