View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 ISS issues 
All-star
All-star

This is the first year I've ever been invovled in ISS. Basically I'm doing my principal a favor going in there for half of a day. He did make it a fairly sweet deal though. 8) It does seem to be a "holding ground" to keep suspensions down and to put them somewhere until their guardians come to get them (after fighting or whatever). I wonder if it's really doing any good!? The same students over and over, and the occaional "good kid" who made a dumb decision. Mainly- it's the same teachers over and over though and I wonder if they may indeed have the issues themselves. Some of these students- I have in class and I have never had any reason to get rid of them... at least nothing that I couldnt difuse without administrative aid. What do you all think?

Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I am not sure how ISS works at your school, but at mine, a teacher can not send a student to ISS. An administrator must do that-we sometimes see the same teacher sending a zillion people to the office for things that seem unnecessary. We do not send them to ISS. We try to talk with the kids and help them see that what they did might really not be that big of a deal but what happened before that??

Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

We have ISS at our school, but I am not really sure if I favor it. I would prefer teachers to assume more responsibility in disciplining their students and if all else fails then send them to ISS. Too many teachers send students to ISS for no apparent reason.

Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Post ISS
I also feel that the ISS programs that are now in place should be changed. Could the answer be instead of doing away with ISS do away with OSS. If the kids are not learning in ISS then what are they doing in OSS?

Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:23 pm
All-star
All-star

teachers have to send them to the office... then the administrator sends them to ISS if necessary. I feel OSS is necessary when they do really stupid stuff or are repeat offenders. They know its not good for them, and if they keep it up, they'll be gone for good. The students who really don't care about school and are just there so mama can still get that check from the Government realize that they are screwing themselves from screwing the Gov.(and the rest of us who work)in this situation so its really a good deterrant (sp) from all perspectives. ISS seems to be a burden on teachers (to prepare work and get them caught up afterward) and is not a deterrant to all students (until we are allowed to make them run til they barf and have 'PE'... which is legal). Obviously I'm for the corporal punishment we lost some time back... talk about a deterrant! ISS is basically like "time out" and we all know that time out is almost like getting away with it! :roll:

Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I am currently covering ISS for the ISS teacher because he had to drive an activity bus for a field trip. These kids don't appear too upset for being in ISS. Actually, they look rather delighted! We have a health and physical eduation teacher covering ISS and the administrators cancelled health classes today so that kids can be in ISS. All health classes are participating in phy. ed. today. I really feel important!

Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:19 pm
All-star
All-star

At my school only an administrator can place a student in ISS. If a teacher continues to refer students to the office, the principal will ask the teacher what steps they are taking to stop the behaivor to occur.

Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:42 pm
All-star
All-star

ISS and OSS may not be the best answer, but what is? What do you do with a kid who is really disturbing a class or who is... whatever? Some students may not care to be sent to ISS, but what else can we do with them? I agree that most discipline referrals to the office come from the same teachers over and over. In this case the problem may or may not lie with the teacher and its then that the administration must do their job and work with the teacher in finding solutions.

Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]