View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Not enough money for teachers?? 
All-star
All-star

I couldn't believe that schools in Chicago were so poor that they would cut teaching positions and put subs in their places to save money. Could you imagine going into a classroom and having no teacher? I make all efforts to be at school everyday. Some of the teachers in Chicago seemed to be filling spot. One of the science teachers let the class talk as long as they didn't get too loud and he slept. I guess he is doing what he should for the money that he is paid. Still that is unacceptable.

No system should have to cut teachers to meet a budget. STudents in all areas should come first.

Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Who do you blame for this? Somehow, I believe the state should be held responsible for the atrocious schools within their communities. If the state can't get it straightened out, then the Federal Gov't should step in. How sad to give this children a poor education when they live everyday in poverty!

Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I know what you mean. When there are budget problems, administrators are quick to point out that teacher salaries consume most of the budget. But what other resources can do our jobs. All of the computers in the world can not replace an effective teacher. As a teacher I could live without many luxuries before I would want increased class sizes as a result of fewer teachers.

Kate

Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I can't help but wonder if things were always that bad. Did they deteriorate from a previously better state? How did society stand by and allow this to happen in some parts of the US and not others? Is is just about color?

Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:44 pm
All-star
All-star

Who is responsible for the test scores? Where are the teams that should be coming in to help these school systems that are not meeting growth? What kind of standards are these schools having to meet? Is North Carolina the only state that has so many measuring tools? I would love to see how these schools meet their standards with subs instead of teachers. I agree with Kellly, you have to really be sick for teachers at my school to miss a day and call a sub. We even have to call the principal and tell them we are not going to be at school that day. I can't image having to be in the subs position and not know what you are accountable for. Again, where is the Standard Course of Study these people are having to teach by.

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Some of us have seen the effects of not enough money right here. When I started work at St. Stephens Elem. there were assistants for every teacher in grades K-4. Now, within 5 years time, kindergarten is the only grade with full time assistants. We have 2 1/2 assistants for 5 first grades, 3 assistants for 6 second grades, 2 for 5 third grades, 1 1/2 for 4 fourth grades, 1 in fifth and sixth. As soon as the money comes for the state, and it isn't the same as the previous year, the first to go are our assistants that are a vital part of our day. In Catawba County, assistants are dual employed - they drive our buses also. They have cut ours so much that we have no sub drivers. Our drivers leave sick children home alone while they come in to drive the routes.

Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:05 am
All-star
All-star

In response to Kellie's statement: This situation shocked me as well. I couldn't imagine having classrooms with no teacher or substitute. We are blessed in Caldwell County to have a large substitute list. I wouldn't want to be the poor soul to show up late for work at my school, or be foolish enough to have a soap opera on when students are at school. I would be fired on the spot. How much does this carefree, irresponsible behavior have to do with the fact that no one wants to work in these schools, or do powerful teacher unions play some role??? :shock:

Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]