View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Making a Real Difference 
All-star
All-star

Following the comment Tami made about NCLB, how do we as teachers begin to make a difference. I don't want to be an administrator, superintendent, or politician. I just want to teach children. I want to work from a realistic curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for third graders, which meets the needs of real children in real classrooms. How do we get people with common sense, that know anything about child development, into positions to make substantial curricular changes and make sensible decisions that affect all of us down here in the trenches?

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Like Karen, I feel my best work can be done in the classroom. I feel productive and effective as a teacher. All good teachers are not meant to go on to "higher positions" in the "central office". But it seems that the teachers are ignored, even by those who previously taught, when it comes to initiating change that can be effective. Plus, the poor classroom teacher is overloaded in so many ways that she/he often does not have the energy to advocate change.

Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:35 pm
All-star
All-star

As teachers we make the biggest difference that counts. We impact the lives of children everyday. Politicians make policies that effect numerous people in a variety of ways. Teachers make decisions that impact how a child sees his/herself today. The daily smile or word of encouragement that a child gets from his/her teacher makes a world of difference. The way a child views his/herself can out weigh any physical environment. Making the best of a bad situation has a hugh impact on lives. We change what we can with what we have.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]