View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Court Ruling for East St. Louis Public School 
All-star
All-star

After reading the first chapter of Savage Inequalities, Life of the Mississippi, I was interested in how the schools were now. I looked at the publication date of the book and noted it was in 1992, 12 years ago. I searched on the internet and found a lot of information. In 1997 the court ruled that the state of Illinois was responsible for providing a minimaly safe and adequate public education. The lawsuit listed many of the problems that were in this chapter.
This is the link to the ACLU's online archive of the press release:

http://archive.aclu.org/news/n050797a.html

I also found a site through google that I could not click on. It was from 2002 and in the description it stated that East St. Louis schools were the lowest performing schools in the state.

I searched the report cards for schools in Illinois and found the schools in East St. Louis. It was very interesting. The elementary schools I looked at had scores similar to the state but the East St. Louis Senior High scored considerabley lower than the state. All of the schools 99.7 percent black students and the district had 98.8 percent black students. The report cards had an incredible amount of information if you want to look at the report cards for schools in East St. Louis this is the link:

http://206.166.105.128/ReportCard/asps/ ... AINT+LOUIS

I hope these links work. If you have any problems please let me know.

Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:19 pm
All-star
All-star

Bridget, The links do work. I just think it's sad that the School System did not do anything to improve these situations. The court system should not have had to be involved. I wonder if any lawsuits will arise following this court decision.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks so much for the links and YES they do work. After reading the first chapter, I was appalled at the conditions within the schools. It made me angry to know such injustice exists but it also made me thankful for my school and my students. I'm glad to know that the ACLU has gotten involved. Hopefully things will begin to change for the entire community.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:17 pm
All-star
All-star

:( I checked out the links too. I am still in absolute shock over the conditions of these schools. Schools are suppose to be a safe haven for children; a place that can sometimes be an escape from their home-life where they will find comfortable temperatures inside a clean up-to-date building and receive a warm meal before returning home. These children often live in horrible conditions how unfair that they shoud be educated under the same conditions. And what perks are there for teachers? They can only hope to be rewarded by the difference they make in their student's lives. How have we let this happen in the USA? Some schools sound no better than third-world countries that we strive to improve. How have we overlooked and failed children of our own nation? Somehow someone needs to be held accountable for these conditions

Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I am absolutely disgusted by the conditions that these children have had to endure. It is amazing that the state would not do anything for these children and their teachers. It is not only East St. Louis, but it seems to be in many areas of the United States. Why couldn't we send help to these cities instead of sending people into other countries? I believe that until we help the people of this country we will not be able to completely help others. Thanks again for the information.

Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks Bridget for the update on the conditions at East St. Louis. I wonder just how long it would have taken the government officials to do something about these conditions if they themselves were having to work under those conditions. It is no wonder those students could not perform at the average state level. These children were trying to "survive" in the classroom jungle. LITERALLY...when the outside world comes inside through broken windows and such. It's proably no wonder the teachers became callous to their situations. They probably felt left out of the real world of education in these surreal surroundings.

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Thanks Bridget! What a helpful sight to look at. I am just still in shock too. I can't believe that with all the information out about these schools (pictures, books, and other extreme evidence) something hasn't been done for these children.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]