View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Community Involvement 
All-star
All-star

One thing I found interesting is that when Kozol asked various school faculty members if more money would solve their problems, they said it would help in some ways, but problems would still exist.

Last semester I read a quote by Jean Anyon that made an impression on me. She states, "It seems that trying to reform a school without attending to the social context in which the school is embedded is like trying to clean the air on one side of a screen door."

She feels we need to do more than improve individual schools. She suggests that we attmept to restructure the economic, political, cultural and political institutions of our communities. What are your thoughts on this?

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the quote. Just putting more money into a school will not create changes over night. The communities and societies in which the schools are placed must all work together to form some type of common bond and goal. I am not sure exactly where the school need to start, but something definitely has to change.

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:33 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that parents and the community must get involved in the school, however it is difficult to get the parents involved if they themselves have been a product of the same type of educational imbalance.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the parents fired up about their children's education? Our school is on the right track but my individual class could use a push in the right direction.

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:55 am
All-star
All-star

Stephanie,

I know exactly what you are talking about with needing a push getting the parents more involved in their child's education. I so often deal with parents who had a terrible experience during their school careers so they do not expect anything any different from their own children. They so often come in with a permanent chip on their shoulders in reference to good or bad communication between him/her and the school. I know that I constantly make "Good News" calls home just so my parents have just as much positive contact with me as negative. My students seem to get so excited about me walking to the telephone to make one of those good news calls. I also keep a board in my room to display everytime someone gets a good call home. This has made many of my parents who would not get involved at the beginning a little more open and receptive to me as more than just an overpowering intruding person. I don't know if this would help but good luck!

Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:37 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with that quote also. It would be wonderful if putting money into a school could fix everything. However, we must remember the communities where our schools are. There has to be a change there before there can be big changes in our schools.

We have a new principal this year who has been trying to increase parent involvement. We've had several activities since the beginning of school such as a spaghetti dinner, math and reading night for parents, and PTA programs. There have been a few improvements, but I feel that we still have a long way to go. The group of parents I have this year stay in contact with me much more than any group I've had. Having that parental support and knowing you can reach them when needed makes things easier for teachers.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:22 am
All-star
All-star

Kate, What a great quote! I agree too that money can't fix everything. I often fuss and complain about not getting enough money in my own classroom, however, when I take a good look at what my money is spent on when I do get it, I am amazed. It seems that most of what I purchase for the classroom is just "extras". I was fortunate enough to get alot of what I needed when my school opened 5 years ago.
We can make do with most of the basics that we are given. Especially when getting a first-hand look at the schools mentioned in Kozol's book. Don't get me wrong, money helps alot! However, I feel that having a teacher who is willing to give it her all, having parents who are willing to support the education of thier child, and having a school system that will provide opportunities for the students and parents to interact together in the education process is the biggest key factors in a child's education.

In addition, I feel that parent involvement is the biggest factor that affects a child's education. It all has to start at home. A parent must instill in their child the importance of an education and the importance of getting involved before a child sees his/her education as being important. If we can't get the parents involved, we can pretty much forget about the student. In my classroom, I try to let the students "show off" or "put on display" their works as much as possible. We have plays, tea's, Student-Led conferences, parent nights, and Thanksgiving feasts. I teach first grade and I know it is easier to do these cutesie little things when they are younger but I do know that parents want to see their child doing their best and performing what they are learning. These times are always good to talk to some of the parents that would not normally respond to parent-teacher conferences. Most parents cannot come to everything that occurs at school but I try to give lots of opportunities for them to get involved and make their child special. Just some ideas. Sorry it's so long! :D

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]