View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Haunted by Ishmael 
All-star
All-star

I have finished the reading of Ishmael, and to be perfectly honest, it wasn't my cup of tea. I have to admit that I was glad the gorilla was gone! I tried not to be offended by this man's statements, but I couldn't help myself.

Once I finished the book, I laid it on the table. Every night my eyes fall upon the cover "An Adventure for the Mind and Spirit." I still find humor in that part of the book. If the author's purpose was to take me on a journey, I still have no idea where he wanted me to go. If his intention was to free my mind and spirit, he certainly did not accomplish that either. In fact, I felt that he was trying to lock me into his thinking. There was no freedom in that.

I'm just glad that my spirituality is on a higher realm than this man's. I believe that he needs to continue his search to the answers of life. As for me, I am content with my own understanding of how the world is.

Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:03 am
All-star
All-star

Janie, There are some advantages to age and wisdom. Like you, I have made great strides in my spiritual journey in this life. I am not some "kid" trying to figure out "life's meaning". (No offense to someone who is still sorting through all that). But like you, I have come to terms with many important spiritual concepts and decisions along the way.My eyes and heart have been opened through my own life's journey. I am glad that I was grounded in those beliefs as I read Ishmael. My beliefs are as solid and valid as anything I read in the novel.

Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:21 pm
All-star
All-star

Ishmael wasn't my favorite book, either. I basically understand what it's getting at, and the whole time I was thinking, "This student is a total idiot!" All he'd say was, "I don't know". I am also well-grounded in my beliefs, and I just had to shake my head at some of Daniel Quinn's interpretations of the Bible. He made things out to be the way he wanted them to be, to suit his purposes.

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:26 pm
All-star
All-star

Better late than never. I just actually finished it. I read every piece and found myself wanting to know what was to happen to the Gorilla. I think that was what got me through it. Janie you are not alone.

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:56 pm
All-star
All-star

When you stated that the author wanted to lock you into his way of thinking, does not Christaninty do the same when the missionaries enter into countries univited to spread the word of God and with some missionaries were people not killed if they did not convert to the new religion? Isn't that locking into another thougt process? Just food for thought.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]