View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Going against the grain 
All-star
All-star

I acutally like Ischamel... It reminded me of Black Elk Speakswhich is a book written by a native american based on the same subject. If one does not take the book as a personal hit against one's religion or belief, but as the science behind nature and how the world is and has been for millions of years, it actually makes sense. At the rate we are going, we are destroying what we have. On NPR today, it was stated that Indonesia has an estimated 400 tigers left... 50 a year are illegally hunted down for human purposes... not for food, mind you, just the "mystical powers" the tiger is believed to have...how many years are left for the tiger? Sounds reasonable that the hunting stops, but the human desire for this animal isn't put aside for the betterment of the world. What will happen if this thought process is applied to all of nature... once the human race uses what they want and how much they want without consideration of the environment, are we all not destroying what we have?

This book is based on native american thought about how the world is... I could go on forever,... If not just for the controversy of the book, I am glad we read it... it did take me 1/2 of the book to understand it and start to like it.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:40 am
All-star
All-star

There were parts of the book I did understand and somewhat agreed with. For example, I don't believe that the white man has all of the answers to how to run the world. I don't believe that the white man should be going into other parts of the world and trying to change the people's culture. I do believe we have a responsibility to spread Christianity and I didn't agree with ANY of the book when Ishmael began contradicting the Bible (CAPITAL B) I really tried to look past it but it when it interfers with something as important to me as my religion, I simply cannot and will not look away. You're right, there were a lot of things that made a lot of sense as far as the ecology of the earth, but other things in the book were simply ludicrous!

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:02 pm
All-star
All-star

I tend to agree with Dawn. Based on what I believe in, there were some things in the book that I did not agree with, especially when it came to religion and Christianity.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I had the hardest time getting into the book. From the very beginning, my husband (who had read the book for his master's program) urged me that I would later understand and the book would get better. However, the more I read, the more that I disliked the book. I did understand that Ishmael was trying to teach using parables, but like stated by the others, it seemed to go against many of my core beliefs. This is definitely not a book that I would recommend to anyone.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]