View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Genesis Living Conversation 
All-star
All-star

The video Genesis Living Conversation really impacted my thinking because it made me more aware of how ones childhood, early adult, and adult experiences effect ones perspective. Everything someone goes throught up until this moment affects who they are. Sometimes, ones passion about an issue just spill out when trying to express a point. It's like trying to get someone to understand what you mean without forcing your opinion on them. You can just see and hear some peoples passion about issues better than others. That is part of who they are.
I have never thought of myself as a person who likes to speak in front of other people, but I am doing it. I do not enjoy it, but I realize that I am continually being made for a purpose. Sometimes, I feel as if no one really understands where I'm coming from. I feel out of place sometimes not because of race, but because of experiences. Experiences help develop perspectives. I can see more than one side of almost every situation. I'm glad God gave me this ability because I do not over react to most situations. I try to remain calm in the mist of the storm.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:03 am
All-star
All-star

I know we discussed this before, but I for one, value your ability to see different perspectives. I also admire your caurage to speak up, especially when your perspective is often not the norm. We all have different experiences, and that makes us who we are. I try to appreciate each person's uniqueness, but I especially admire yours! :)
A Hug for the Day!

Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:11 pm
All-star
All-star

It's always hard sharing our opinions or our point of view because we don't want to look "stupid." I know there have been many times that I felt like I should have spoken out, but I chose not to because of the fear that I felt.

I feel like you when it comes to experiences. I feel like I haven't been exposed to a lot of things, therefore, I don't posess enough knowledge to even offer an opinion.

I'm more like a sponge. I like to absorb the things around me, process it and then form an opinion on how I think or feel. Sometimes being a sponge isn't so bad.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you guys. I feel more comfortable when I am not speaking up in class. I like to listen to what others are saying rather than speaking up in class. I have not been exposed to many things either, so I feel that my experiences are as important as someone elses.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm glad to know there are others like me. I like to sit and listen and take everything in during discussions. Sometimes I wish I would have spoken up, but I it's difficult for me. I don't know what others will think of what I say. Maybe I need to be more like you Fay, and just do it.

Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I admire people who are able to speak freely. I am getting better at it, but I admit it makes me a little nervous. I feel that so much can be learned from listening to others, but there are times when I feel strong about something and I work up the courage to say it. Our graduate classes and knowing my peers better helps make it easier. Isn't it ironic that we have no problem talking in front of a classroom of children everyday, but put us in front of adults and it's a different story!

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:02 pm
All-star
All-star

Unlike you I never seem to have a problem speaking. This did not use to be the case, I never spoke up in highschool. I'm not sure when I started talking in classes but I can't seem to stop myself and usually once I night I feel like kicking myself for not thinking out what I was going to say and saying it clearly. But I go and do it all over again the next week.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I will never forget something a professor from my undergraduate class said to me. I discussed with him how I hated to get up in front of people and talk. Then then proceeded to tell me in front of the class that maybe I had chosen the wrong profession. Well, when I told him that I just felt uncomfortable speaking in front of adults, he told the class to get in a circle for group time and pretend they were my first graders (when I was an assistant in a 1st grade classroom). I was devastated! I still, do not like to get up in front of adults and speak. I guess that I am just afraid of saying something stupid. It is totally different when I am speaking to my class--

Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]