View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Language - Right or More right? 
All-star
All-star

In reading the Delpit article, I noticed in the dialogue between Martha Demientieff, the Native Alaskan teacher, and her students, that she instructed the child in a way I as a white middle class teacher would never dream of doing. On page 41, she talks about how the children need to use "Formal English" when writing and trying to get a job, but the Athabaskan Indian "heritage" language should be used when they are at play and in their homes. The quote that has me so worried about the way she is teaching is, "We'll talk like them when we have to, but we'll always know our way is best." On the next page, the Southern black high school teacher says to Joey, her student, "But who decided what's right or wrong?" to which he replies, "I guess white people did."

My question is this: Does Martha (and other teachers like her) send the wrong message to their students when comments like this are made? Did I really make these rules, or was it the British ancestors, or the originators of the English language? Don't we have the right to be as proud of our 'proper' English as say, the French who work hard to keep their language pure?

I know that I use a different language in the instruction of my students than I use in the company of my friends or family. Does that mean one language is right and one is wrong? I think the more appropriate wording would be that there is a right time and place for all types of language usage.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say on these topics. :lol:

Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree Teresa! I grew up in WV and the area is considered a part of Appalachia. I did not grow up hearing proper English from my parents or friends. I was taught proper English as a part of my schooling. I did not feel that I was stupid just because I had to learn to speak so that others could understand. In a way, everybody does sometime during their lives. I feel that these teachers are ensuring the hatred in these children of white people. Yes, I am fully aware of what my ancestors did, but I myself try to be fair and just. So should these children think that I am wrong because I am white and I supposedly hate their language. (I do not.) I actually do change my language in front of family and in front of colleagues. Do I think my way is better? No, it is just what I know. I understand that all cultures need to have pride in themselves, but we all have to communicate in a way that we all understand. For years, this way has been Proper English. I guess this is a very controversial subject, so I am sorry if I offend anyone. I just think that there has to be a standard, and that standard has been set, so just do the best you can with it, without trying to blame anybody.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I have lived in this area my entire life. I even attended Appalachian during my undergrad, and I did and still do change the way I speak in front of others. Many times I try to correct how my parents, brother, and husband speak. I am always correcting subject/verb agreement with them. I feel bad when I correct them, but at the same time I don't want others to think they are stupid.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that there is a right time and place to use formal and informal English. I have even tried to explain this once or twice to my students. I try to make them understand that their dialect is not wrong it is just not appropriate at certain times and in certain places. This way they don't say, "Well that's how my daddy talks. Are you saying he's wrong?"

Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I find myself changing the way I talk frequently. It usually depends on who I'm around and how comfortable I am with that person. I try to teach my students the same thing. I try to correct them when they use the wrong verbs or subjects. I also try to get them to speak with complete sentences. One word I'm still working on with a student is "ask". She says "ax". It's what she hears at home and she doesn't understand why it's wrong to say it that way.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:00 am
All-star
All-star

I am guilty of correcting others for the way the speak. Just ask my husband. I grew up here in the St. Stephens area while he grew up in the Balls Creek area. As close as these areas are, there is a difference in the way we speak. Like you said neither one is wrong but just knowing when to use it. When I know someone well, I might say 'ain't got narry a one'. If I said that in the conference I attended last week, they would really wonder where I was from. My language changes depending on my surroundings. (Just like what I type for you to read)

Maria Caldwell

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:33 am
All-star
All-star

I think that my parents go absolutely insane whenever I am around them. I constantly find myself correcting some of the things that they say. Just ask my husband--I am the world's worst for doing this. He grew up on a farm in Virginia and many of the things that he says are not the way that I say them. My mother told me that I have been correcting people since I was young. My mom said that I would embarrass her sometimes, especially if someone would say, "That is purdy". I would say, "It is not purdy, It is PRETTY!" She just said that she hoped that I would outgrow that habit. I guess she is still waiting on that day to come. I do not think that my way of talking is the only way or even the right way, but when you are in the habit of doing something sometimes it is hard to break.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]