View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Delpit's Assumptions 
All-star
All-star

I am not sure about the rest of you but I was irritated by some of the assumptions that Delpit made. The one that got to me the most was the one about how we phrase our commands. I don't know about you, but the first time I tried, "Why don't you get your math book out?" I knew it didn't work. I always try to phrase my commands in very specific ways, "Get your math book out to page 370." I only have three minority children in a class of 27. I do what works best for the students in my room. Delpit assumes that because I am white, I automatically cannot communicate with the minority students. This frustrates me, because I spend a lot of time understanding how all my children think and work!

Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with both of you. One half of my students are minority. I have had many staff development sessions on understanding their background and culture trying to find better ways to communicate with them without offending them and their cultures.

Maria Caldwell

Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with you Shelly. I work in a school where the white students are the minority! My classroom is composed of white, latino and black students. I do my best to relate to all of my students. Yes, there are differences in all of them, but that is what makes the experience so wonderful. I do not think that because I am white that I am not capable of giving my non-white students the education that they need and deserve!

Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:04 am
All-star
All-star

Thank you, as well. I was pretty irritated by the assumptions made because of the color of my skin. I do not judge the children in my room based on the color of their skin. I get to know the children and what they are capable of based on my goals and expectations, not what has been done in the past. A child may have been a discipline problem for someone else and usually is not for me. It is all in the way you approach the child.

Renee

Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I was upset as well when reading the article. And I agree with all of you. I do try very hard to get to know my students and how they think. I also do not use the previous teacher's opinion of students either. Because, they are not usually a problem if I take the time to get to know them and to show them that I do care.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you all. I dont feel that i discriminate. I treat them all the same. I think they would tell you that. And throught the years some of my favorites...come on we all have them...have been african american students. This year I have one boy and he drives me crazy but he has a great personality. He is great.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I completely agree with you.
If I asked my students, " Why don't you get your math book out?" Several of them would likely say, " Why don't we go outside instead?"

Darla

Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]