View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Praise 
All-star
All-star

As I started this week's reading, student praise jumped out at me. IT pointed out how one particular child got amost no positive feedback from the teacher. I started thinking the feedback I give students. I try my hardest to praise every student for their job well done, but many times I then tell them something that could be better (or I tell the something bad about their work) . Is this good or bad in your opinion? A positive then a negative. Is there a good way to give negative feedback?

THis mostly happens when I am giving feedback on writing or behavior. I can praise them for one particular thing, but I usually can find something to make better.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Can you soften the negative by saying something like 'I really like the way you sat still during library. Can you try to do that now?' Dwell on the positive and good in the student. Students need all the praise we can give them. We are often the only praise and good role model they see - which is a shame.

Maria Caldwell

Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:17 pm
All-star
All-star

This really makes me think about the way that I praise my students. I always try to give each student in my classroom as much praise as I can. However, I do find myselves giving negative messages occasionally also. This rang true on the report card comments that I made for this nine weeks. Before I stated a negative comment, I wrote something positive first. So, I wonder along with Kellie! Is this bad?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:20 am
All-star
All-star

I'm glad that you write a positive then a negative on the report card as well. When I am trying to give parents a report on their child I do try to start with all of the positives first, then go into the negative ones. I don't know whether or not it's bad, but I don't know how else to say it.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]