View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Stuck in the middle! 
All-star
All-star

After reading the Delpit article, I find myself questioning even more what I should do about retaining two of my students this year in 4th grade. I honestly believe in my heart that it would do both of them a tremendous amount of good. They are only working on a 3rd grade level in Reading and Math. They escaped the gateways last year and were promoted on anyway at other schools with hope that they would make enough growth this year to reach the level they should be on--- However, they both have made over a year's worth of growth in Reading and Math. My thinking is that another year in 4th grade could possibly bring them to the level to be successful in 5th grade. BUT....I always hear the same thing. 4th grade IS NOT a gateway year therefore, pass them on and if they are not ready, they will get caught in the gateway next year. Well, that is what put them in the situation they are in now. They were passed onto 4th grade when they were not ready. They have struggled all year and are failing in all subjects. I feel that it would be less detrimental to their social selves to be retained this year when next year all of their peers will be off to middle school. Now, after reading this, I am beginning to question myself. Does anyone have any suggestions or feel that you are in the sames shoes in 4th grade? I feel literally "stuck in the middle!"

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:50 am
All-star
All-star

Many times I hear "..don't hold any students back, they get caught in fifth grade.." But, I have students that do not need to go on to the next grade. One thing that I get asked when I talk about students is "How big is she/he?" One thing that is a deciding factor in how my school retains is how will they fit in socially. Will they be taller than all the other students? I do realize that this is an issue, because this would hurt a child's feelings if they were teased etc. So, when is it right to retain a child?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I know the feeling. You have to go with your gut feeling. Most of the time it is right. I don't think the gateway will catch them. I honestly believe the standards for the gateway are lower than say 4th grade requirements on the EOG because the state knows that they could not possibly retain the number of students that would fail if they were held to the same level as they were in 4th, 6th, and 7th. Look at the on-grade level statistics. That should prove the standards. My best advice is if you feel it is in their best interest to be retained then you are hurting them by not retaining them.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]