View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Poisonwood Perspectives 
All-star
All-star

Usually when I read a book, it is written from one perspecitve. For me,
the different perspectives of Poisonwood make the story deeper, richer, and more real. Any comments?

Darla

Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I wanted to hear Nathan Price's perspective but I could probably have written his perspective by his actions but I think that would have been interesting.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:55 pm
All-star
All-star

This was new and interesting to me, also. Being the "picky" reader that I am I kept finding myself going back to the beginning to remember the characters. I took me a while to get to know them and remember who they were.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:45 pm
All-star
All-star

This was my 2nd reading so my family and I listened to it on tape. I have a 25 minute drive to and from work so I usually listened in the van. I didn't really intend on having my 9 yr. and 6 yr. old join me, but one morning they piped up from the back and said "turn on the Congo Momma!" I was suprised at the level of interest from my 4th grader. He always had questions about vocabulary or Bro. Price. My 1st grader particularly liked Ruth. I really need to find more good literature for us to share in the car. It also helped keep them from fighting and bickering about other stuff.

During my first reading, I did the same thing as Rhonda. It reminded me of reading Fried Green Tomatoes. The switching of perspective was confusing but acted greatly to the story. I particularly grew to like Ada. B.K. must be quite an intelligent women to write with such fascinating technique.

Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:00 pm
All-star
All-star

At first I found the different perspectives to be confusing, but as I read on I found that they made the story richer for me. I enjoyed seeing some of the same events through different eyes.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I almost gave up on the book because I could not keep up with everyonea and everything but about half-way through I developed a bond with the characters. I really felt as if I know the characters personally. Even though Brother Price never speaks on behalf of himself, I truly begin to "know" and despise him based on what others said or felt. Neat way get to know characters!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I just finished reading the story. I really did like the way it was written. It depicts how every event in life means something different to every individual. I can relate to how all the sisters responded to the same events differently. I also see how the events affected the lives of everyone of them. Their early years in the Congo had an impact on their decisions afterwards. I can see how we all misunderstand each other because we do not have the same feelings or experiences. "Worlds in our Heads"
We all go through different calamities everyday. We wish we could help each other, but many times we do not know how to help each other. We survive as the Price women did.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I too enjoyed reading the book from the different perspectives of the girls. As Fay mentioned, it was neat to see how each one of the girls reacted to certain situations. I think this way of telling the story made it seem more real and helped me to get a mental picture of each of the characters in my head.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:19 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Dr. Turner said it one night in class. "We all have a story to tell." Each character in the novel had a desire to share their story.

Not only does the book show the breakdown of a country, but it also shows the breakdown of a family. A country strives for its independence, so does the family. Even though the family may have gone their seperate ways, they still remain captive to the memories of their experiences in the Congo.

Nathan tried so hard to save the people of the Congo but he forgot about the needs of his own family. He was desperate to become the African people's Savior. I feel that he forgot the most important lesson of all..mankind cannot save you, only Christ can. He became obsessed with his role and forgot his true calling..to be a leader.

Even Rachel still remains a captive in her life. I love the quote "You make something, seems like, and spend the rest of your days toiling so it won't go all unraveled. One thing leads to another, then you're mired in."

I think we all feel like that during certain times in our life.

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]