View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Nakedness and darkness of the soul!" 
All-star
All-star

On page 27, when Nathan Price pointed his judgmental finger at the bare-breasted mother and made an embarrassing example of her, I was moved to tears. Sadly, there are many "Bible toting" preachers who have knowledge, but lack wisdom. This was not Pamela Anderson topless on the beach. This was a mother within her culture, going about the business of preparing food for the guests. Was anyone else touched by this scene?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I felt more outrage against Nathan Price than any other emotion. Although it was over Christmas when I read this that really sticks out in my mind. I believe it is when they first arrived in the Congo. I thought to myself how dare he go into another person's home or cultural environment and judge them on his beliefs. That would be like someone coming into my home telling me how to dress while I am in my home. I agree Darla that many people do try to thrust their beliefs and convictions on others with no regard to their feelings.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:00 pm
All-star
All-star

or knowledge of their cultural practices (sorry I guess I wasn't completely done).

Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:01 pm
All-star
All-star

What made me so angry was that seemingly in public he was religious but at home behind closed doors he acted very differently, even abusive. I think there are many people that try to portray they are one way but actually they are "Fakes." Outrage is how I felt about Nathan Price.

You should never go into a culture and try to point out all of the things they do that you do not agree with. If you can't win people with love you won't win them.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:53 pm
All-star
All-star

The view that he would go to the Congo and teach the people the right way to live is just like the "takers" in Ischamel, don't you think?

Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]