View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 retention and administration 
All-star
All-star

I had a situation last year that really discouraged me as a teacher trying to do what is best for a child. I had a child that was at least if not more a grade level behind when coming into second grade. Her first grade teacher wanted to retain her, but the child's parent would not hear of her being retained. The principal at my school told the mother if she did not make the growth needed in second grade she would be retained without question. She did improve tremendously, but at the end of the year she was on a second grade level in reading, writing, and math. I had planned to retain her and told her mother that another year would help to put her at the level where she needed to be heading into third grade. She had grown a full year in second and I was sure that she would grow more with another year. I had to teach her all first grade math and reading and writing skills. Her mother again raised objections about retention. My principal agreed to let her go on to 3rd where from what I understand from talking to her teacher she is completely behind in everything.

My question is:
How are we suppose to do what is best for a child when the administration will not keep their word or back us up. I feel that we see the child's progress everyday and know what they can and cannot do. What are your thoughts?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I've had a similar experience where the principal wouldn't retain a student. This student was in third grade and never passed his EOG. They would not keep him back, and I got him in fourth grade. It was very difficult because I had to make up for two years - I had to teach him third grade material as well as fourth grade. He did very well and made lots of progress. I passed him on to fifth grade and from what I hear he is falling behind again. I still wonder if another year in third grade would have made the difference.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:47 am
All-star
All-star

This takes me back to the article "Growing Good Principals." It is sad to realize, but we as teachers do not stand a chance of always doing what we feel is in the best interest of the child if we do not have the support of our administration. I have been fortunate to have one of those awesome principals that supports us no matter what the issue is. She has been terrific in dealing with parents who were adament about a student being retained. She will do what is in the best interest of the child. I think that she is AWESOME! It is a shame that more administrators will not stand up to the parents and worry about the best interest of the child and not what the parents are going to say about them. I believe that we are doing an injustice to the students by continually passing them on when they are not ready. It seems to me that we are setting them up for failure.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:12 pm
All-star
All-star

I can totally relate. I had a 1st grade student who was not placed in any kind of EC program. He could not read. Had a hard time at math. Was already frustrated in 1st grade. He needed to be held back. I went to my principal. She was on my side until the parents had a fit about it. They thought it would kill his self esteem. (With experience it does at first, but with all the successes they have that doesn't last long.) I could not convince them of anything. They had worked hard, but he wasnt ready. Since they had a fit my principal make me pass him on to 2nd not knowing how to read or even half of his sounds. How much sense does that make. I have the degree not the parent.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I have had three different principals in the six years I have been teaching. I have seen principals go both ways on the issue of retention. Year before last, I struggled with retaining a child who was socially and academically delayed. The principal agreed with me that the child should be retained. The next year, the child showed very little growth. Last year, I had the child's sibling whom was also delayed. We decided as a team of teachers/principal not to retain this child based on prior knowledge. This was a good decision both child placed in EC. Most of the principals I have had have an issue with social promotion. Yet their seems to be a double standard based on home language. At my school, it is easier to retain a child who speaks English than it is to retain a non-English speaker. I know that ESL laws prevent retention based on language deficiencies, but if a child is academically behind he is not performing at grade level. Are we doing what is best for the child?
I feel guilty when I have to retain an English speaking child when I am not allowed to retain a non-English speaking child that is also working below grade level because there might be a language barrier. (No Child Left Behind)
If administrators make decisions against our recommendations we need to make sure it is documented to protect ourselves. This happend last year at my school. The teacher and the parents recommended retention, but the child was sent on to then next grade. I have heard that the child is struggling.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]