View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 White vs. other cultures 
All-star
All-star

A question has been burning in my mind after reading the Delpit book. So frequently she speaks of how white teachers should take suggestions and input from people from the child's background. She never mentions black educators needing input from other cultures about the best interest of the child. I feel like what she is saying is that black teachers know what is best for black students etc. If we act upon her premises, wouldn't we be segregating the schools back to the way that our country had worked so hard to change many years ago. This also brings back the question of "school choice" is really a way of going back to the way schools used to be? Maybe I am way off base, but I feel like she is off base with some of her ideas as well.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:30 am
All-star
All-star

Amy, in the back of my mind I filed a bit of infomation, keep it mind I forgot where I heard this...that studies have shown that black children perform better in segegrated schools with teachers of the same race. It would be wonderful if schools could provide children with equal education in a school of their choice, but even in Charlotte, with school of choice, there is not equality.

Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]