View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Rewards or just verbal feedback? 
All-star
All-star

How many of you use a reward system? Does it seem to work? In my last class, someone reported on the pros and cons of giving rewards. Research showed that for the short term, rewards worked. After a while, they lost their effectiveness. Should we use only verbal feedback - positive and/or negative? What do you think?

Maria Caldwell

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:19 am
All-star
All-star

Maria, I use rewards in a very limited manner. I prefer verbal and written feedback/praise. Personally, I think it's more effective. When I give a "reward" like candy, cookies, even stickers or pencils, I will often give it to the entire class----sometimes just as an expression of my affection for them. One of my favorites is Hershey Kisses----and I tell them they are kisses from their teacher.
There's something sad to me about seeing one child having to sit and watch while another is "rewarded".

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:11 pm
All-star
All-star

Maria, I did my research project on intrinsic motivation. All the research said that rewards such as candy, toys, etc. was considered extrinsic rewards that would soon loose its effect. The evidence showed that verbal praise, letting the children have a choice in their learning or assignments, cooperative learning, and immediate feedback were the keys to creating an intrinsically motivated child. This will ensure that the child is doing the work for benefit of learning and not for just a reward. I will be glad to show you some of my research if you want it. I really enjoyed this project because I too had these same questions. I now use what I learned and my kids seem so much more involved and excited about learning- not to mention my pocket book doesn't suffer as bad now!

Shannon

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Several years ago the teachers at my school went through Restitution training. This program is based on instrinsic motivation to do the right thing versus a reward. The program takes time to implement, but is well worth the time. The program teaches the children about the five basic needs and they determine a child's behavior. The children learn to identify their needs and we work together to find productive and positive ways of meeting their needs. The children truly enjoy and thrive for that verbal afirmation that they have been noticed and are appreciated. Although, I still "reward" the children from time to time. when I do this it is done with the whole class. I agree with Penny, in that I cannot reward one and not the other. Mainly their rewards are for things they have done that goes above and beyond. I do not use them often, but face we get rewared once a month with our paycheck.

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]