View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Labeled Students 
All-star
All-star

Last night during our discussion we talked about how certain cultures are labeled. I immediately began to think about a white male student in my class. I have several trouble makers in my classroom. Some are black and some are white. Anytime there is a major problem with fourth grade, everyone automatically assumes it is someone in my class. Last week I had a child accused of stopping up a toilet in the restroom. A child from another class said I saw him do it at 12 o'clock. This child has a hard time catching a break, because so many students and teachers are looking for everything he does wrong. To make the story short, a teacher came into my room and blessed out my student in front of my entire class, AND myself. After she gets finished she then turns to me and asks me if he went to the restroom today. THANK THE LORD ABOVE I had not let him go to the restroom that afternoon!!!

I feel like when students see other teachers labeling a student, the rest of the class will do it as well. The student came up to me after class and thanked me for sticking up for him because he would have been sent to office whether he did it or not. And I agree with him. If I had let him out of my room, no one would have believed him.

I know this probably happens all the time, but what do you do?

Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:06 pm
All-star
All-star

Heather, I think you do just what you did. You give them a benefit of the doubt. I learned early, from a vetran teacher, never to punish a kid for something that I didn't see or hear them do myself. Many times I have see the "bad seed" make that turn for the better when they knew somebody was honestly going to believe in them. Lead by example! I am proud of you girl!

Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Way to go Heather! Not only did you prove the others wrong, but you let that student know someone really cares and believes in him.

Maria Caldwell

Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:43 pm
All-star
All-star

Heather, I have a student in my class similar to that. Maybe not as extreme. Everyone knows i have trouble with him. And when there was a problem in the room, we seemed to always point our finger at him. He would get so mad when he had nothing to do with it and we kinda "assumed". Its hard not to. I wouldn't punish him, unless i knew he did it. But he got a lot of fussings. I dont want to label him that way. And now, he is doing so much better. He listens and does not get into trouble. I brag on him all the time. He is a success story..

Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Heather, I think you absolutely did the right thing. It is sometimes hard to stand up to a co-worker over a child. I know that this kid will not forget what you did for him. I too try to always be very careful when listening to other children telling on each other. My poor first graders just love to tattle on each other and I'm trying really hard to make them understand the difference between what should be told and what should be ignored! Sometimes they drive me CRAZY with this!

Shannon

Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:03 pm
All-star
All-star

Heather, you did the right thing. I'm sorry I can't say as much for your colleague. Her actions were disrespectful to you, the accused student, and your entire class. She may have succeeded in labeling herself.

Darla

Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]