View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Pledge of Allegiance 
All-star
All-star

I know we haven't exactly discussed this issue, but I think it relates to some of the things we have been discussing. What do you all think of the Supreme Court case to strike "under God" out of the pledge? Do you think that our opinions are "relative" to the world that we live and believe in?

I, for one, see nothing Constitutionally wrong with it. After all, the constitutions says....."In the year of Our Lord"

What do you think?

Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't see anything wrong with it either. If you look back through history to the time our country started, you will see God mentioned many times. I was actaully listening on the radio this morning about the Supreme Court and this case. One judge is not taking part which leaves eight to decide. They were saying that if at least four judges vote to take it out of the pledge, then it will be taken out. What happened to the majority? I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be watching to see what happens with this.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:19 am
All-star
All-star

Girls, I agree. I see nothing wrong with the Pledge as it is. I personally think that there are too many people looking for ways to stir things up and get noticed when what they really need to do is take it with a grain of salt. I am not saying to never make waves but I really think some people have too much time on their hands to think of these silly and superficial lawsuits.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:23 am
All-star
All-star

I agree. If a parent does not want their children to say the Pledge for other religious purposes, then don't let them say it. Why stir up trouble? Going back to Meredith's question. What happens if 4 judges agree and the other 4 disagree. That is totally unfair.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you about the pledge. Last year I had a student who wasn't allowed to say the pledge according to her family's religious beliefs. This was not a big scene in the classroom, I simply told the students that she was excused from saying the pledge. When they asked why I told them that it was between her parents, the child, and myself. This pretty much satisfied them. I did request that her mother send me a note stating their religious beliefs just so that I would be covered with our principal.

My question is What will they take God out of next?

Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:27 pm
All-star
All-star

It seems we have a majority opinion on this issue. Isn't democracy bases on the majority? Our country was founded on those principals.

I had a child, too, because of religious beliefs was not allowed to say the pledge. No one really noticed in my room. She jsut sat quietly.

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]